EUMETSAT is the European operational satellite agency for monitoring weather, climate and the environment.
EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency and its purpose is to gather accurate and reliable satellite data on weather, climate and the environment around the clock, and to deliver them to our Member States, to our international partners, and to users world-wide.
This project targets the improvement and streamlining of metadata management at EUMETSAT, by preparing the foundations in form of a common metadata schema and a registry for metadata elements where information on these elements is stored and maintained in a standardised and sustainable way.
This project will be accomplished under supervised support and in continuous exchange with Information Management team members, within Process Assurance and Management Support Division.
- The intern will establish an inventory of metadata elements and their characteristics used in EUMETSAT corporate tools;
- Based on this inventory, the intern will then develop a schema of metadata elements that could or should be common across tools in the interest of interoperability and, in particular, search;
- The intern should also investigate whether the metadata used is adequate for retrieval or whether further/other metadata elements could boost findability of information;
- Finally, the structure for a registry as central location for storing the information on metadata elements should be developed;
- The intern will elaborate a report summarising the outcome of his/her findings, including ideas which may be incorporated by EUMETSAT.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Excellent communication and team working skills;
- Learning Orientation and innovative approach;
- Problem Solver and Proactive approach;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the proven ability to work in a team;
- Readiness to learn and expand the own knowledge.
Length of internship: 6 months
Anticipated start date: 1 April 2021
No salary is paid to interns who are still in studies, however a daily allowance and contribution to travel / accommodation costs may be provided. The conditions will be established taking into account the requirements and policy of the intern’s educational institution.
Interns are responsible for providing their own health and accident insurance and for finding their own accommodation in Darmstadt.
Currently enrolled in a university degree in information management or related discipline. A focus on metadata management during studies will be an asset.
Candidates must be able to work effectively in English.
EUMETSAT is committed to providing an equal opportunities work environment for men and women.
Please note that only nationals of EUMETSAT Member States may apply. The EUMETSAT Convention requires that Staff shall be recruited on the basis of their qualifications, account being taken of the international character of EUMETSAT.
EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency. Its role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation’s Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide.
EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users.
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT has 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.)