The European GNSS Agency (GSA) is responsible for the operations and service provision for the European Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) EGNOS and Galileo. By developing a new generation of GNSS, Europe is laying the foundation for new high-technology industry development, leading to job creation and economic growth. These European flagship space programmes, which embody what can be achieved when Europe works together, are already bringing real benefits to people and business in Europe and around the world.
GSA AND MARKET DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
The Market Development Department is responsible for understanding the users, the market and the user-related technologies (for example via the publication of the Market Report, the User Technology Report and the User Consultation Platform). It fosters the creation of European space services market demand and creates a competitive EU offer of applications and products that answer the demand, in particular via the Research and Innovation tools, delegated by the European Commission, and fostering the EU industry and SMEs.
The Market Development Department is organised by vertical market segments (e.g. Road, Rail, Maritime, LBS, Geomatics, Agriculture, Governmental etc.) that require specific expertise, supported by horizontal functions, e.g. the Research and Innovation coordination.
In addition, GSA is planned to become the EU Agency for the Space Programme (EUSPA) under which it will develop and take on board new tasks: among them the market development, user uptake and application development for Copernicus, the Earth Observation programme of the EU, and the user coordination for the EU satellite telecommunication program GovSatCom. In this context, the Agency will implement a set of initiatives to support entrepreneurship, focusing on start-ups and SMEs. This will require new skills and creative approach to develop apps and solution building on space data.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Market Innovation and Entrepreneurship Specialist will work on the new entrepreneurship initiative, focusing on innovation activities making best use of EU space technologies, supporting start-ups, SMEs and entrepreneurship, from early stage to scaling up. We are looking for three profiles:
- Market Innovation and Entrepreneurship Specialist for Start-ups support (profile 1)
- Market Innovation and Entrepreneurship Specialist for Apps design and development (profile 2)
- Market Innovation and Entrepreneurship Specialist for New technologies (profile 3)
When applying, please clearly indicate for which profile(s) you apply in section 7. Motivation letter.
All profiles will have the following non-exhaustive list of tasks and responsibilities:
- Understand and monitor the entrepreneurship and start-ups scenario in the EU;
- Analyse and update the market trends and the specific role of EU space technologies in highly dynamic application areas with a strong potential for entrepreneurship;
- Connect start-ups and new ventures with large potential customers in the private and public sectors, providing the first opportunities for the innovations to be deployed in commercial set up.
- Specific tasks and responsibilities for profile 1 (Start-ups support):
- Propose creative measures to seed the innovative solutions resulting from Research & Innovation actions, scaling them up to become new commercial products and/or new companies;
- Mentor the start-ups and new ventures to conclude a commercial feasibility of the innovation;
- Analyse the access to finance opportunities for start-ups and design specific network of financing actors (e.g. network of Venture Capitalists) focused on the EU space downstream applications, leveraging private and public financial instruments, including EU initiatives.
Specific tasks and responsibilities for profile 2 (Apps design and development):
- Guide the start-ups and entrepreneurs toward the optimal design and architecture of their Apps and solutions;
Mentor the start-ups and new ventures on aspects related to app development, such as graphic design, back-end and front-end development, etc.;
- Support the organisation of activities targeting mobile application developers and other entrepreneurs, such as hackathons, prize competitions, start-up support actions etc.
Specific tasks and responsibilities for profile 3 (New technologies):
- Analyse and constantly monitor emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, quantum and connectivity, automation, internet of things, big data, new concepts of mobility, etc.;
- Find opportunities for start-ups and entrepreneurs creating synergies between the EU space data and the above emerging technologies;
- Provide inputs to the entrepreneurship initiatives in terms of R&I priorities.
- Furthermore, the Market Innovation and Entrepreneurship Specialist will contribute to other tasks of the Department as deemed necessary and to the overall GSA processes such as quality management and reporting.
The selection procedure is open to applicants who satisfy the following eligibility criteria, on the closing date for application:
- Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma
- Be a national of a Member State of the European Union
- Be entitled to his or her full rights as citizen
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws concerning military service
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved
- Have a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the European Union and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the European Union to the extent necessary for the performance of his/her duties
- Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post
All eligible applications, according to the afore-mentioned criteria, will be assessed against the requirements listed below.
- The Selection Board responsible for this selection will determine the criteria to be assessed in the various phases of the selection procedure (assessment of the application forms, interview and written test) prior to being granted access to the names of the applicants. All essential criteria will be assessed during the applications evaluation phase.
- Non-compliance with any of the essential criteria may result in the exclusion of the candidate from the selection process. Advantageous criteria constitute additional assets and will not result in exclusion, if not fulfilled.
- When filling the online application, candidates are expected to include elements that demonstrate that their profile matches the requirements below.
- University degree in a relevant field, e.g. Information Technology, Engineering, etc.;
- Experience in business development/commercialisation of technological products/solutions;
- Excellent command of both written and spoken English;
Proven experience in:
- working in or with start-ups, SMEs ecosystem (either creating a start-up or engaged in supporting start-ups in their market entry) – profile 1;
- Apps development and architecture design – profile 2;
- at least one emerging technology such as artificial intelligence, quantum and connectivity, automation, internet of things, big data, new concepts of mobility – profile 3;
- Creativity and innovation;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Adaptability and flexibility;
- Excellent organisational skills and problem-solving mindset.
In order to consider your application valid, you are required to log in and submit application through the GSA e-recruitment portal. Click on APPLY below.