The European GNSS Agency (GSA) is responsible for operations, service provision, security and market development for the European Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) EGNOS and Galileo.
By developing a new generation of GNSS, Europe is laying the foundation for the development of new high-tech industry, leading to job creation and economic growth. These flagship European space programmes, which embody what can be achieved when Europe works together, are already bringing real benefits to people and business in Europe and around the world.
About the hiring department
The Legal and Procurement Department steers the legal dimension and ensures the overall follow-up of all GSA legal activities, and provides legal advice on all GSA policies. The department assists all other departments in contract preparation, negotiation and interpretation and manages all procurements, contracts, grants and other agreements. It also oversees the protection of personal data and ensures compliance with relevant legislation.
Tasks and responsibilities:
The Senior Legal Officer will be in charge of supporting the Agency in all tasks of the Legal and Procurement Department, in particular:
- Provide specialist legal and procedural advice to ensure that the GSA acts within its statutory and regulatory obligations;
- Provide legal advice to the Agency’s operational and administrative departments;
Identify legal issues associated with GSA’s activities to prevent the Agency incurring legal risks and develop solutions;
- Advise on issues potentially giving rise to litigation, provide legal advice and manage litigation cases at administrative and judicial level, as well as representing GSA before local courts and the European Court of Justice;
- Contribute to the identification, assessment and management of potential risks associated with GSA legal, procurement and contract management activities;
- Provide expert advice on procurement, grants and prizes;
- Coordinate calls for tenders and calls for grants in line with standard best practices;
- Follow up on contract implementation and performance throughout the lifecycle of contracts;
- Ensure that all purchases by the GSA of goods or services comply with the applicable regulatory framework;
- Provide legal advice and support the interfaces with key stakeholders (e.g. Administrative Board, Security Accreditation Board, European Commission, European Space Agency);
- Provide support when requested, in leading and coordinating specific areas, practices, projects and/or teams;
- Represent the Legal and Procurement Department in external meetings, working groups, conferences, seminars, networks and report to management;
- Contribute to general tasks of the Agency, such as planning, budgeting and reporting;
- Contribute to managing a team of professionals including setting targets, monitoring performance and supporting the development of junior team members;
- Assist with management of external support or advisers;
- Contribute to the preparation and development of internal rules and procedures, as well as high-level document management.
The Senior Legal Officer may be assigned to represent and deputise the Head of Legal and Procurement Department.
In addition, he/she will be required to perform any other tasks assigned by the Head of Legal and Procurement Department.
The selection procedure is open to applicants who satisfy the following eligibility criteria, on the closing date for application:
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies5 attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is four years or more
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma and at least one year of appropriate professional experience when the normal period of university education is three years
- In addition to the above, appropriate professional experience of at least nine years after obtaining the required diploma
- Be a national of a Member State of the European Union or Norway
- Be entitled to his or her full rights as citizen
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws concerning military service
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved
- Have a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the European Union and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the European Union to the extent necessary for the performance of his/her duties
- Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post
In order to consider your application valid, you are required to log in and submit application through the GSA e-recruitment portal https://www.gsa.europa.eu/gsa/jobs-opportunities
A full job description and further information on the application procedure can be found here: https://vacancies.gsa.europa.eu/Jobs/VacancyDetails/1468