end-to-end space mobility.
Overall Role Purpose
Support the relevant product stream programme/project manager deliver the project portfolio by undertaking all aspects of mechanical engineering surrounding the design, development, and production of the aforementioned products.
Summary of Main Activities/ Key Responsibilities
- Undertaking mechanical engineering task in support of the product stream
- Develop clear understanding of customer requirements and impact on designs to determine sensitivities, resolve technical issues/requirements/design solutions with customers pragmatically and efficiently.
- Design lightweight, robust, low cost, stowage efficient mechanisms to support structures deployment andoperationsin Space.
- Carry out detailed reviewproving the robustness of the design in all anticipated situations.
- Maintain the mechanism section within a technical suite of documents e.g. VCD, DDVP, ICD, technical budgets, assembly, and test plan.
- Track and verifyspecified requirements according to the DDVP.
- Assumeoverall responsibility for the cost and schedule budget apportioned to the work package in hand.
- Manageindividual packages of work,prioritising the tasks within that work package and delegating effort.
- Manageand maintain the design configuration of designs produced.
- Providetechnical expertise and support to procurement, assembly, and test activities.
- Keep the project manager aware of any potential issues, suggesting mitigating options and their possible impact to cost, schedule, and technical solution.
- Offer guidance to more junior members of the project team, providing training where required.
- Act as mechanisms technical authority at project meetings including customer facing meetings.
- Support bids and proposals with the Business Development team
- Represent the project team at OSS meetings where various stakeholders are present.
- Undertaking the development of these elements within budget, in a timely manner, and without compromise on quality
- Producing, compiling, and presenting technical content at project meetings including customer facing
- Complete any other tasks as commensurate with the level and nature of the post as delegated by the line manager.
Required Qualifications, Skills & Experience Essential
- An excellent team player able to integrate quickly into and take technical charge of a project team of differing levels of experience and ability.
- A Bachelor or Masters Degree or equivalent in Engineering, Mechanical, Mechatronics or Aerospace or a related discipline (eg Physics.)
- A high level understanding of mechanisms and familiarity with one or more of the following: mechanical, thermal, electrical systems, systems engineering, RF systems engineering
- Experience with one or more of the following: Gears, motors, or mechanisms,
- The ability to quickly understand new technical concepts
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software
- Excellent communicating and influencing skills
- Strong project management skills and demonstrative experience of managing multiple conflicting priorities
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Experience with software packages for mechanical design and/or structural analysis, thermal analysis and mathematical modelling e.g. SW professional, FEMAP, NASTRAN, ADAMS, Matlab etc
- Experience in a similar role within a regulated industry (Space, Nuclear, Aerospace, Automotive)
- UK Government National Security Vetting to SC (Security Check) or DV (Developed Vetting) level or are willing to apply for this vetting through OSS