Deimos Space UK
The Ground Segment department at Deimos Space UK requires an experienced GIS Engineer to develop and maintain Enterprise level GIS systems for Earth Observation applications. We provide applications in a number of domains such as biomass monitoring, change detection, urban mapping and analytics.
The chosen candidate will be involved in maintaining and improving the GIS offering within our Service4EO platform. The platform provides web services to applications using Earth Observation Imagery. For example, it helps farmers and agronomists to monitor their fields / crops using satellite imagery, UAV imagery and data acquired by tractors. The platform is involved in multiple applications like monitoring illegal deforestation, urban mapping.
In this particular platform, the engineer will be involved in scaling, and maintaining the GIS subsystem (based on GeoServer) and GIS elements of the database.
While Service4EO will be a recurrent work, the engineer will also work on any other GIS related activity using other tools like CartoDB, Esri or Deimos tools (e.g. GS4EO suite).
Most of the developments are done in Python, PostgreSQL and Java. Multiple type of satellite data is used such as Landsat8, RapidEye, Deimos-1,2, Sentinel-1,2,3, Worldview, UAV imagery and data collected on the ground are largely used too. There is no limitation regarding the type of GIS data which are used, it can include, field boundaries, road networks, building footprints, digital elevation models, geological layers.
Occasionally, the candidate will also be asked to support the business development team for activities related to GIS will be required.
- Assisting with deployments, upgrades and, and development of a scalable solution
- Monitoring, maintaining and improving services delivered by GeoServer (cache, tiling, styles, extensions, configuration, logs…), stress testing
- Design of GIS components and interfaces, deployment of GIS solutions
- Development and testing of new components ingesting Earth Observation imagery and generating products in a Scrum team using continuous integration
- Collection, preparation, conversion, fusion of GIS data to be used in machine learning algorithms for analytics
- Contribution to proposals
- Coordination with the partners who will use the interfaces to develop their application
- Coordination with the other Deimos team who develops other GIS components.
- Travel in Europe and outside Europe to support the international projects.
Education: A university degree.
The required professional experience is:
- Expert in Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Development with GeoServer (API) – ideally in an Enterprise environment
- Familiarity with scaling systems
- Experience working with databases such as PostgreSQL
- Use of Earth Observation imagery
- Work in operational environment
Other relevant professional experiences are:
- Development within AGILE teams (SCRUM)
- Web services development
- Experience with satellite data provider platforms and API: Digital Globe, Planet, EarthI, Urthecast.
- Understanding of OGC standards (e.g. WMS, WCS, WFS)
- PostgreSQL, PostGIS
- Knowledge of python
- Speaking: High
- Reading/Writing: High
Useful but not necessary: Spanish
- Communication and collaboration skills
- Flexibility to work in new environments, new technologies or new types of work
- Ability to work in several projects at the same time