Making space for everyone
Come be a part of the 21st Century Space Race. At Firefly, we’re focused on creating the future of space transportation to enable commerce from Low Earth Orbit to the surface of the Moon and beyond. Our company is committed to providing economical and convenient access to space through the design, manufacture, and operation of reliable launch vehicles and spacecraft. To get there, we are looking for incredibly passionate, bright, and determined people to join our team.
This position is responsible to develop world-class production facilities from the ground up. This position will require the use of 3D simulation software along with other tools to design material handling systems. The ideal candidate will excel in a demanding and fast-paced environment where they will work as part of a strong, agile, and highly motivated team. The candidate will be able to think at a systems level to design and simulate optimal material delivery systems and push for factory layouts most conducive to their designs. The candidate must also have the ability to make assumptions on modeling inputs based on the experience of real-world factors and lessons learned with previous systems. A successful applicant will have the ability to quantify layout options at a high level and work to completion of line-to-line part flow design. The team is responsible for developing a factory design that supports seamless integration between production, packaging, material flow, supply chain, construction, and facilities teams. Innovation is expected.
- Material Flow System Design
- Develop detailed material flow models for new and existing products to project material flow headcount, assess congestion, execute on buffer quantities, and ensure overall feasibility
- Work closely with manufacturing engineering teams to develop a plan to deliver every part from one production step to the next
- Fully detail manual solutions while conceptually modeling automated solutions to collaborate with automation design teams on business cases
- Ensure that equipment and layout designs align with the overall material flow plan and vision for the factory
- Own design of layouts for each element of a material handling system
- Iterate and grow layouts that capture touchpoints across a factory
- Develop keep-out zones for material handling paths and anticipated equipment while a factory launches utilities and support space
- Plan and reach expense budget objectives and capital items
- Create spaghetti diagrams, optimize flow, and present solutions with projected savings
- Develop and deploy a framework of continuous improvement utilizing lean principles by performing value-stream analysis simulations. Reduce waste, rework, and cycle times
- Tracks projects and reports status to key stakeholders on a regular basis
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Industrial, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years with proven experience in industrial engineering with emphasis on layout and material flow
- Expert understanding of production processes
- Ability to understand and lead the implementation of new processes
- Extensive detailed material flow analysis experience to make data-driven decisions and summarize results for executives
- Deep understanding of material delivery methods
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to drive projects with diverse teams
- Experience quantitatively solving ambiguous factory design problems at a systems level
- Experience with layouts in AutoCAD
- Strong Analytical & technical skills for all product support activities
- Multi-tasking skills are required to manage multiple projects and various project activities
- Highly hands-on and strong mechanical aptitude
- Experience with implementing and improving manual and automated handling system
- Experience implementing new key process indicators
- Experience with diverse and high throughput material handling challenges
- Experience working in simulation
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.