Come be a part of the 21st Century Space Race!
Come be a part of the 21st Century Space Race. At Firefly, we are focused on the leading edge of space systems progression. Our company is committed to providing economical and convenient access to space for small payloads through the design, manufacture, and operation of reliable launch vehicles and spacecraft. To get there, we are looking for incredibly passionate, bright, and determined people to join our team.
Firefly is looking for an experienced mechanical engineer to design, implement and manage advanced test infrastructure. The Firefly test site has been built from the ground up by our team to be a world-class rocket test facility. Capabilities include testing every part of the rocket from individual engines, valves, and structures, to full-scale mission duty cycle stage testing. As Firefly grows, additional test stands are being designed to not only support flight acceptance testing, but also the continued development of novel components and entirely new vehicles. As a test infrastructure engineer, you will work closely with the vehicle and component engineering teams to develop and modify test systems to push these new designs to their limits.
- Develop and implement fluid systems including a selection of tubes, valves, filters, pumps, etc.
- Design with Safety in mind will be working with cryogenics, strong oxidizers, and pyrophoric chemicals
- Work with the vehicle engineering team to develop requirements for test system designs and modifications
- Develop work instruction packets and manage fabrication with our fabrication and technician teams
- Coordinate with test operations and technician teams to develop systems that improve operational efficiency
- Commission new test systems and validate existing systems before major test campaigns
- Monitor and evaluate test stand performance during test campaigns
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or related engineering discipline
- 2 years experience or an advanced degree in a relevant field
- Exceptional comprehension of engineering fundamentals including fluid systems and thermodynamics
- Ability to perform computations for fluid systems (e.g., pressure drop, valve timing, etc.) for liquids, cryogenic liquids, and gases
- Proficient with 3D and 2D CAD software
- Proven ability to read and understand technical drawings, including GD&T and P&IDs
- 4+ years experience in a relevant field
- Experience working with and selecting outside vendors
- Works well in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated; requires minimum direction
- Exceptional writing and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with instrumentation and instrumentation deployment methods
- Familiarity with data acquisition and control methods
- Plumbing system fabrication experience
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.