Making Space for everyone.
Come be a part of the 21st Century Space Race. At Firefly, we are focused on the leading edge of space systems progression. Our company is committed to providing economical and convenient access to space for small payloads through the design, manufacture, and operation of reliable launch vehicles and spacecraft. To get there, we are looking for incredibly passionate, bright, and determined people to join our team.
The Firmware Engineer will be responsible for the integration and test of the firmware found on all of Firefly’s Avionics and Avionics sub-systems. This role is part of a growing firmware team and is an opportunity to learn and grow. The candidate will have the opportunity to test, optimize, and maintain FPGA firmware systems on multiple platforms related to both traditional launch vehicles, and spacecraft.
This is a fast-paced role requiring the ability to adapt and be flexible including understanding PCB assemblies’ function in the overall system and build the firmware configurations to meet the requirements. A successful candidate will be a team player able to support the firmware and FPGA performance from development through launch.
- Integrating and testing FPGA firmware targeting Xilinx, Intel, and Microsemi FPGA devices.
- Creating test benches and regression testing for simulating FPGA designs.
- Testing designs on target hardware to ensure it performs as per project requirements.
- Providing reports for testing results and coordinating with other FPGA designers.
- Diagnosing and debugging FPGA interfaces on a variety of products.
- Collaborating with a firmware design team in an Agile project management workflow.
- Participate in the manufacturing test process starting with requirements and ending with firmware used in a station to verify functionality.
- Development of C# and Python code for troubleshooting systems.
- Implement design blocks using VHDL.
- Bring up and validate ASICs and FPGAs in the lab.
- BS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- Hands-on experience with embedded systems in a lab-based environment
- Solid digital design fundamentals
- Ability to work as a test lead coordinating tasks with subject matter experts
- Experience with source control (Git)
- Minimum 2 years of FPGA/SoC based software development experience
- Proficiency in embedded C/C++ programming
- Design experience with CAN, Serial, Ethernet communication protocols
- Understanding of data path pipelines, state machines, and arithmetic operations
- Exposure to static timing analysis
- Experience in Verilog, System Verilog, and/or VHDL
- ASIC/FPGA/SoC system integration experience
- Experience with high-reliability design and implementations
- Software design and development skills
- Comfortable with scripts and command lines (csh/bash, Perl, Python, etc.)
- Experience with EDA tools such as HDL simulators (e.g. VCS, Questa, IES), HDL Lint tools (e.g. Spyglass), FPGA tools (e.g. Xilinx Vivado, Altera Quartus II)
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment with changing needs and requirements
- Team-player, can-do attitude, and ability to work well in a group environment while still contributing on an individual basis
- Enjoys being challenged and learning new skills
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.