End-to-End Space Transportation and In-Space Services
Firefly Aerospace is a U.S. based advanced space technology developmental organization focusing on the leading edge of space systems progression. We are committed to providing economical and convenient access to space for small payloads through the design, manufacture, and operation of reliable launch vehicles. If you are great at what you do and would like to work with people who really want to make a difference, then Firefly is the place for you.
Firefly is looking for talented structures engineers to develop our state-of-the-art composite structure throughout the product life cycle. You’ll be part of a highly skilled, dynamic team that will involve you in all aspects of analysis, design, fabrication, and testing. Excellent collaboration and communication skills, along with a positive attitude are critical.
- Firefly engineers own and influence the entire hardware design cycle including conceptual design, structural layout, sizing analysis, hardware production, and structural testing
- Composite and metallic Primary structures for orbital launch applications
- Composite pressurized structures analysis, design, and/or manufacturing
- Design of structural joints with bonded and bolted configurations
- Light weighting existing designs and requalifying designs
- Supporting products from conceptual design, formal design, analysis, protype, qualification and production
- Support configuration development and trade studies
- Finite Element Model development, refinement, validation, and postprocessing
- Maintain requirements, activity schedule, budget, and status
- Create CAD, manufacturing drawings, specifications, and other documentation
- Perform first order strength and sizing calculations for your responsible structure
- B.S. degree in aerospace, mechanical, or civil engineering and 0-5 years of experience in aerospace or related structures engineering.
- Strong design and integration skills using 3-D CAD software (Siemens NX / FiberSim preferable).
- Ability to effectively work in a multi-discipline team and provide technical guidance and insight.
- Experience with industry FEA/FEM tools like Nastran, ANSYS, FEMAP, etc.
- Experience designing and analyzing composite structure and/or pressure vessels.
- High degree of mechanical understanding.
- Demonstrated experience with composite structures and manufacturing techniques.
- Having a working knowledge of different fiber and resin systems is a plus.
- Having experience with additive manufacturing techniques is a plus.
- Working knowledge of light weight alloys commonly used in aerospace/and space application and pros and cons of different material selection.
- M.S. degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering and/or 3+ years of experience.
- Working knowledge of composite manufacturing methods, material selection, testing, characterization & Allowables development.
- Fluency with composite structure materials, analysis, design, and/or manufacturing.
- Experience developing physical tests to validate analysis and evaluate assumptions.
- Familiarity with aerospace standard structural analysis methods (Bruhn, Niu, Roark, etc).
- Experience designing structure for varying thermal environments.