Firehawk's mission is to improve America’s defense and aerospace capabilities by producing hybrid rocket engines that are safer, lower cost, and deliver a higher standard of performance.
Firehawk Aerospace, a propulsion-focused aerospace and defense company based in the Dallas, TX area, is undergoing expansion and is seeking a Principal Machinist. As a Principal Machinist, your primary responsibility would be to oversee the production process; ensuring that all productions targets are met efficiently, safely, and within budget. Your job duties would include creating production schedules, monitoring inventory levels, ensuring the quality of the final product, and implementing process improvements. You would also be responsible for ensuring that all safety protocols and regulations are followed, and that any equipment or machinery is properly maintained. The role will be ever-changing and will require the candidate to be flexible and open-minded while being detail-oriented.
- Oversee production of hardware
- Ensure that all production processes meet aerospace quality standards
- Be familiar with manual and CNC machining processes
- Conduct standard reductive machining of metals (turning, milling, drilling operations)
- Conduct standard sheet metal working operations
- Be familiar with other manufacturing operations (EDM, waterjet, electroplating, heat treating, etc)
- Be familiar with common weld and fastening processes
- Interpret engineering drawings and provide feedback to improve designs
- Ensure all safety protocols are followed
- Manage inventory of raw materials and tools
- Train employees on operations and safety topics
- High school diploma or GED certificate
- 5+ years of direct experience in a manufacturing shop
- Understanding of and ability to complete manufacturing operations
- Working understanding of tolerance, GD&T (ASME Y14.5), and design for manufacturability
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Power Point, OneNote)
- Strong work ethic and ability to thrive in a fast-paced R&D environment
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills
- Focus on safety, reliability, innovation, efficiency, and teamwork
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships
- Physical dexterity
- U.S. Citizenship
- 10+ years of professional experience inside a machine shop
- Expert understanding of manufacturing processes (welding, machining, heat treating)
- Expert understanding of tolerance, GD&T (ASME Y14.5), and design for manufacturability
- CMM setup and operation
- General system level knowledge of mechanical and testing propulsion hardware
- Active or Previous Security Clearance
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Paid time-off
- Parental leave
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Employees in these positions must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer; stamina to sit and to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions; may occasionally lift/carry/push/pull up to 25 pounds; may require minimal walking, standing for extended amounts of time, climbing, crouching, and/or bending; and vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.
May be required to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level. Requires U.S. Citizenship. Must also be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
Firehawk Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firehawk Aerospace is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.