Gama offers access to deep space using low-cost, reliable and scalable solar sails. While chemical and electric propulsion are complex and limited in range, solar sails fulfils the dream of free and continuous acceleration using the sun’s energy.
Founded in 2020, backed by well known entrepreneurs, and collaborating closely with the French Space Agency (CNES), the team is moving fast for a first launch with SpaceX in 2022 to demonstrate our technology.
Our team is the secret to our success. We are proud to be working with inspiring colleagues who are smart, fun, ambitious and looking for the challenge to transform an industry.
Do you think this could be you? To pursue our ambitious vision, we are looking for a Thermomechanical Simulation Engineer (m/f) to join the Mechanical team. Our long term success, especially as we venture further into deep space, closer to the sun, depends on a fine understanding of thermal properties, simulations and intelligent material and design choices.
Your mission will be to:
- Contribute to thermal design choices from analysis of mission requirements
- Validate and determine the flight domain of a solar sail dispenser’s complex mechanisms
- Suggest reliable thermal control system design solutions to ensure electronic components are kept within operational temperature ranges
- Perform thermal analysis on spacecraft and subsystem level with ANSYS and/or SIMULIA
- Collaborate with colleagues from other departments and payload suppliers to gather input information required for the thermal simulations
- Assist mechanical design engineers with CAD model geometry preparation (defeaturing) for simulations
- Prepare and present analysis and recommendations to the wider team
- Analyse test and in-orbit data against simulation results
You come with:
- Strong knowledge of thermomechanical behavior
- Have a good understanding of heat transfer and thermodynamics
- Have a passion for various engineering simulations and a desire to learn fast
- Some experience in 3D modelling with Catia or equivalent
- Have some experience with thermal analysis (ANSYS or equivalent)
- Familiarity with ECSS and NASA standards/handbooks
- Strong analytical skills, a proactive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills and unbounded curiosity
- A willingness to do things well
- Speak English – further languages welcome
- The opportunity to shape the space industry, and be at the cutting edge of space exploration
- A steep personal development path, learning from and working with the Gama teams
- A highly talented, dynamic and international team
- Entrepreneurial experience in a privately financed New Space company
We are looking forward to receiving your application!