Researching for the world of tomorrow
Head of the Department of “Space Exploration”
The space agency based in the German Aerospace Center (DLR) designs and implements the German space program on behalf of the federal government. The space program includes both the national space program and the German participation in the ESA programs. In addition, the space agency represents German interests in the international arena, especially vis-à-vis the ESA.
In the “Space Exploration” program, basic research projects in the fields of exploration of the solar system, astronomy / astrophysics and basic physics are funded. One focus is the development of instruments for the science program of the European Space Agency (ESA). In addition, bilateral cooperation projects with international partners and technological advance developments for future missions are carried out. The main tasks of the department are the planning of the “Space Exploration” program and its implementation in specific space projects.
As the head of the “Space Exploration” department, you will be responsible for the
- Head of the Space Exploration Program
- Updating and defining the conception and strategy of the program
- Integration of the sub-programs exploration of the solar system, astronomy / astrophysics and basic physics into a coherent overall program and definition of priorities for the implementation of the program
- Management of the projects and plans funded in the national program
- Representation and protection of German interests in international bodies and bilateral working groups
- Representation of the “Space Exploration” program
- The manager is also responsible for the organization of work and responsible for the quality of the work results and the timely completion of tasks in the department. The job requires the ability to manage personnel as well as flexibility and negotiating skills.
- Completed university degree at master’s level in a natural or engineering course
- Proven relevant competence and extensive experience in the planning and implementation of programs and projects in a national and international context
- many years of experience in space travel
- Many years of professional and / or disciplinary management practice
- Many years of relevant experience in cooperation with ESA and international partners as well as in dealing with universities, research institutions and industry
- Negotiation skills, assertiveness and initiative
- good general knowledge of science and technology
- very good knowledge of the German language, both spoken and written
- very good written and spoken English
- Strong ability to work in a team and communicate in a national and international context
- The willingness to perform a security check in accordance with the Federal Security Checks Act is a prerequisite.
- A doctorate in a relevant subject area is ideal
- Comprehensive knowledge of the relevant research landscape is desirable
- very good networking in the relevant national and international environment is an advantage
- ideally a high level of social and organizational competence and the ability to lead a successful team of individuals and to hold it together through mutual acceptance
- Relevant experience in research as well as in the preparation of scientific results is welcome
- Experience in representation and public relations is advantageous
You can look forward to an employer who appreciates your commitment and promotes your development through a wide range of qualification and further training opportunities. Our unique working environment offers you creative freedom and an incomparable infrastructure in which you can realize your mission. Compatibility of private life, family and work as well as equal opportunities for people of all genders (f / m / d) are an important part of our personnel policy. We prefer applications from severely disabled people if they are qualified.