Researching for the world of tomorrow
In the Institute of Technical Physics, laser systems are developed for applications in aerospace and in the areas of security and defense. At the institute locations in Stuttgart and Lampoldshausen, scientists, engineers and technicians work on interdisciplinary issues, including the focus on laser effectors.
The propagation of laser radiation in these applications takes place through turbulent atmospheres, which affect beam pointing stability, intensity and beam profile. For a compensation approach, new evaluation methods of an already existing single-shot interferometer have to be developed in order to obtain suitable controlled variables for the compensation.
- In the “Active Optical Systems” organizational unit, the evaluation methodology of an existing single-shot interferometer is to be expanded as part of a master’s thesis in such a way that the atmospherically induced phase disturbances at the location of the transmitter aperture can be determined. Spatial light modulators (SLM) generate typical phase disturbances in the laboratory setup, which are generated in advance by numerical simulations and evaluated using measurement technology. The aim is to be able to provide suitable and robust controlled variables for compensating for phase disturbances.
- In addition to the further development of the already existing interferometric evaluation in Python, the participation in external measurement campaigns and the close scientific exchange with colleagues in the work environment are also part of it.
- We can offer the prospect of employment as a student assistant (6.5 hours per week) for the period of the diploma or master’s thesis.
- Completed basic studies in physics or engineering in the field of optics (e.g. intermediate diploma or bachelor’s degree)
- Passed optical / laser technical internship
- Programming knowledge and experience with data analysis and image processing (Python)
- Knowledge of atmospheric physics or laser propagation is beneficial
You can look forward to an employer who appreciates your commitment and will support your development through a wide range of qualification and further training opportunities. Our unique working environment offers you creative freedom and an incomparable infrastructure in which you can realize your mission. Compatibility of private life, family and work as well as equal opportunities for people of all genders (f/m/d) are an important part of our human resources policy. We give preference to applications from severely disabled people if they are technically qualified.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace