All Orbits, All Planets™ – Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
An exciting new opportunity has emerged for a Junior Space Systems Engineer (Satellites) to help design our satellites and space missions. You will be part of the satellite team that is building Australia’s first sovereign 100kg-class satellite product, and the missions based upon it.
Duties and Responsibilities:
A satellite systems engineer is the technical “glue” of a multidisciplinary engineering design team. They keep a high-level view of the space mission and communicate with specialist engineers to make sure that all the aspects of the satellite work together as expected and achieve the top-level mission objectives. Below is a list of the usual tasks you would be expected to perform, but it is not an exhaustive list.
- Assist senior systems engineers:
- To perform top level mission feasibility analyses
- Develop the mission concept of operations
- Develop the satellite system design, including make/buy trades for satellite subsystem modules
- Develop the satellite system level budgets (power, mass, data, cost etc.) and keep them updated as the
- Satellite design matures over the mission lifecycle
- Write satellite design review material for preliminary and critical design reviews
- Develop the integration and system level test plan for each mission
- Assist Assembly, Integration and Test (AIT) engineers:
- Perform satellite integration (yes, actual hands-on satellite building!)
- Perform integrated level satellite testing
- Perform early satellite operations, before handing over to the mission operations team.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Technical degree / diploma in a relevant field (e.g. Aerospace/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics etc.)
- Strong computer user fundamental skills: Microsoft Office, gSuite etc.
- Must be capable of obtaining and maintaining an Australian Government NV Level 1 Security Clearance
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- 1-2 years’ experience in an engineering field, preferably high criticality like Aerospace, defence, medical, mining, automotive, including internship or personal projects
- Experience leading a small engineering team to design and build a prototype product
- Demonstrable understanding of space satellite systems, i.e. attitude determination and control systems, radiation effects on electronics, power systems etc.
- Demonstrable understanding of orbit dynamics.
- Experience with Space-specific software tools like AGI STK, Valispace, gPredict or NASA WorldWind
- Demonstrable understanding of common applications of LEO spacecraft
- Experience performing early mission feasibility analyses (“Phase 0 / Phase A studies)
- High level software development (e.g. Python, Matlab, Java etc.)
- Well-developed communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution skills
- Proven ability to prioritise and manage work demands and deliver outcomes
- Self-motivated, results oriented with a high level of attention to detail
Policies and Procedures
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees’ terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace