All Orbits, All Planets™ – Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
A new role has emerged for a Lead Mechanical Engineer to lead a talented team of engineers through the vision, design, development, and production of launch vehicles and complex systems. As an expert in Mechanical Engineering, you will uphold the highest quality of engineering standards and execution across the organisation and contribute that expertise to support to other Gilmour Space product development programs. Lead and work across multi-disciplinary teams to ensure duties are performed in an efficient and timely manner whilst adhering to Gilmour Space policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities listed are not exhaustive, they represent examples of the work performed by this position. You will be required to perform other duties within your skills and abilities.
- Lead and manage a team of engineers developing complex mechanical and structural systems.
- Provide expert direction, mentorship and support of the development, work allocation of the supporting junior team.
- Design and qualify mechanical and structural systems to meet customer and Gilmour Space requirements for product development programs.
- Utilise the full spectrum of the design, analysis, test, and manufacturing tools to create efficient structures and mechanical components.
- Ownership of product delivery timeline through conception, design, assembly, and launch.
- Develop test plans for parts through development, qualification, and acceptance testing.
- Review specifications and other data to develop mechanical layouts.
- Analyse and interpret data collected during testing.
- Ability to problem solve and understand complex problems; incumbent must be able to resolve situations that demand solutions.
- Other duties as requested by Management
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 6+ years of experience with mechanical, or structural design and analysis in a professional setting (excluding internships).
- 4+ years’ hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly, integration and/or testing.
- Highly developed CAD skills developed through design of parts and assemblies
(Onshape preferred, Inventor, CATIA etc.), or
- Highly developed simulation skills with at least one commercial FEA or Multiphysics simulation package (ANSYS preferred or NASTRAN, ABAQUS, CFD codes, etc.)
- Must be capable of obtaining and maintaining a NV Level 1 Security Clearance.
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Professional experience in mechanical design and analysis.
- Hands-on project experience with complex mechanical systems, preferably as a lead.
- Ability to manage large assembly models and drawings.
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T.
- Demonstrated understanding of structural analysis and failure modes of complex mechanical systems.
- Ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers.
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together.
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills.
- Analytical/scientific programming experience (Python, Matlab, Excel, etc).
- Teamwork, motivational and/or negotiating skill. Anticipates and responds to the needs of others
- Well-developed communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution skills
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage work demands and deliver outcomes
- Self-motivated, results oriented with a high level of attention to detail
- Demonstrated commitment to health and safety, quality assurance, continuous improvement, and environmental management
Policies and Procedures
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees’ terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace