We are a leading consultancy and incubator for advanced unmanned technology and operations. We attack some of the most challenging problems in the world today using the exponential technologies and the drive to make an impact. From Archangel Aerospace's legacy in world-record high altitude solar-electric aircraft we have leveraged deep technical leadership expertise to better enable the machines we send to far flung corners - satellites in orbit and remote monitoring robotics. We operate at the convergence of multiple advancing technologies (space, robotics, AI, laser comms) and have spun out two startups to tackle problems like illegal logging , safety at sea, pollution and infrastructure support.
Are you motivated by impact; do you want to help solve real world problems like poaching and illegal logging?
Archangel Imaging is a startup developing distributed intelligence and advanced camera systems with on-device AI.
We have worked on World Record projects and have developed unique machine vision payloads including edge AI devices winning the AIConics AI for Good award (2019), the BT Infinity Lab Augmented Intelligence award (2018), and finalist at the Dubai’s Robotics for Good (2017). We are passionate about bringing deployable AI technology to underserved groups in remote areas who wouldn’t have access to AI applications otherwise, and to tackling those major problems that affect our planet.
We are looking to enhance the existing computer vision algorithms for our current products; all of which combine machine learning with specialist cameras.
We are looking for a proactive candidate with a strong foundation in mathematics, science and/or engineering in general, and an enthusiasm for applying their work to real life situations.
Prior experience in machine vision/ deep learning would be useful, though what would be more important is inquisitiveness and a willingness to learn. Structured training/ on-the-job learning opportunities will be provided.
Upon successful completion of the training period, you could be responsible for planning the imagery collection, developing & training neural nets, optimising for power consumption, optimising for embedded devices, testing or deploying the system.
Depending on your other skills you could also get involved in embedded software development or prototyping hardware (think Raspberry Pi, drones, 3D printing etc.). Let us know what you can do!
Responsiblities will depend on your skills and the project we select with you.
Key responsibilities would include
- End-to-end responsibility for solving a problem
- Negotiating requirements
- designing a strategic approach to solving problems
- developing solutions
- communicating results clearly
Essential skills / Experience
- Good university results in a field of science/engineering/mathematics.
- Strong Python and C++ skills.
- Strong communication skills (written, and spoken).
Desirable Skills / Experience
- Good skills in deep learning, including CNN training, testing, evaluation and inference deployment
- Proficient with multiple machine vision and machine learning frameworks (OpenCV, TensorFlow, TensorRT, Caffe, PyTorch etc.).- Skills in researching, designing and implementing novel machine learning and machine vision algorithms.
- An understanding of imaging sensors, processing and interfaces
- Strong data science skills
- Strong software design and development experience, including OO design
- Awareness of hardware limitations
- Awareness of full-stack software development
- Customer / user engagement experience
Stuff you can do that we’d like to hear about:
- That phone app you made to solve a cool problem
- Running deep learning on embedded devices
- Understanding of non deep learning computer vision libraries and techniques (OpenCV, SVM, KNN etc.)
- Anaconda knowledge (not the snake!)
- Experience with [camera] sensor integration (e.g. that IoT project you did for your Dad last Christmas)
- Awareness of modern software development (CI, CD, Docker, Kubernetes, Vue etc.)
- Front end, web API ninja skills
- Communication technology experiments (wireless weather station, IoT, satellites, cellular etc.)
- Salary £26,000 – £35000 annual equivalent depending on your experience/skills
- We work around delivery-focused, agile sprints, with a sustainable work-life balance.❤
- Flexible working hours, working from home
- You will be making impact early and regularly – build your skills, while drive the technology forward and change the world.
- Bonus, pay rise and shares options for excellent impact
- Gym discounts, free phone insurance, shopping and supermarket discounts plus many many more!
- Paid classroom training and online courses
- Relocation support, as needed
- Fresh fruits 🍒& snacks 🍫 & ☕ weekly restocked and thoughtfully remixed
- The buzzing Harwell Space Campus (the UK future answer to Silicon Valley) with regular events on site (networking, workshops)
- Team socials
- Latest tech and tools to make your work lives easier
Location: Our core team is currently based in Harwell Space Campus, with longer-term plans to move our office base to central Oxford/ London. Regular remote work is possible for qualified candidates. Depending on the projects, there will also be overseas travel.
- This role will close once suitable applicants are appointed, with the start date negotiable.
- For questions please write to careers [at] archangel [dot] im.
TIER 2 SPONSORSHIP
We are only licensed to sponsor candidates who are already in the UK on valid visas that can switch to tier 2.
All candidates requiring tier 2 visa are welcome to apply and will be considered alongside all other applications but please note that the limited numbers of sponsorship certificates would need to be reserved for exceptional talents. In other words, the non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. Those currently exempted from this test are in-country Tier 4 visa holders, candidates qualified at PhD level, for example. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website https://www.gov.uk/government/….
** No recruitment agencies please**