DLR GfR mbH is a company providing reliable, safe and secure aerospace services. We operate and manage the constellation of Galileo satellites in the Galileo Control Center Oberpfaffenhofen on behalf of the European Commission. In addition, we are an Air Navigation Service Provider. Based on our aerospace expertise we are developing highly accurate and manufacturer-independent services for communication, navigation and surveillance (CNS).
Our company headquarters is located in the five-lakes region in Upper Bavaria near Munich, a place where other people enjoy their holidays. At the space industry location in Oberpfaffenhofen, our approx. 160 employees work every day in international and interdisciplinary teams on the navigation of the future. Become a part of us!
The Ground Operations Team is responsible for the overall management of Galileo GCS (Galileo Control System) Operations at both Galileo Control Center in Germany and Italy and the execution of GCS prime operations and GMS (Ground Monitoring System) backup operations, including activities related to key management.
As Ground Operations Engineer you fulfill several tasks within the Galileo Service Operator (GSOp) phase. This includes activities related to Ground Operations preparation, planning, execution/support (including on-call and shift duty) or operations development as well as training. The scope of activities includes regular trips to the control centre in Italy (GCC-I) and interface with other operations teams or DLR GfR customers.
As part of the Ground Operations Team you contributes to the regular reporting, support milestones defined by the project and to internal/external services/activities as defined by the Ground Operations and Ground Engineering Managers.
- Prepare/support/execute system, segment and element operation validation activities
- Develop/review/update Operations Plans and Operations Concept documents
- Update and maintain control of Ground and Secure Operations Procedures
- Ensure/support databases preparation, coordination, synchronization and verification
Operations planning and coordination:
- Take part in the planning and coordination of activities
- Provide planning inputs and execution feedback for Ground Operations activities
- Take over ground or secure operations position on-console and on-call
- Provide support to ground segment users for preparation or execution operations activities.
- Monitor performance of ground services and trigger corrective actions
- Handle incidents and anomaly (writing, processing, support of review boards) according to KPI.
- Prepare/support/execute software engineering activities
- Interface with ground segment external entities for data exchange and service outage troubleshooting
- Provide supplementary support to Shift Lead and Special Operations
- Take over duty on-call to provide Ground Operations Support 24/7
- Support KPI data collection and reporting
- Take part in Ground Operations processes (e.g. planning, reporting, anomaly escalation, milestone reviews)
- Provide support for the progressive automation of Constellation Operations
- Provide Engineer Support to assess Galileo Control Segment enhancements/modifications
- Provide inputs to enhancement of operations processes
- Maintain and develop subject matter expert (SME) training material
- Master´s degree in telecommunications, aerospace engineering, informatics or equivalent
- Experience in ground system operations preparation engineering and execution, ILS or Maintenance
- Knowledge of navigation ground segment such as EGNOS or Galileo
- Comfortable using Linux
- An advanced level of English is mandatory
- Willingness to on-call and shift duty
A unique activity in space operations + international team spirit + 30 days annual leave + individual career options (for example through secondments to partner agencies / enterprises abroad) + varied personnel development program + employer-financed retirement plan + and much more.