The position is based in Rome. The availability to make occasional National and International travels is required. Short-stays at our customers’ premises, based in Italy, may be required only during specific project phases.
The Ground Segment System Engineer shall work on multiple projects and assignments, leading all the internal technical activities with an high degree of autonomy during all the subsystem lifecycle, from the specification up to the operations phase.
He/She shall support proposal preparation and sales activities by leading, preparing and delivering all the required contributions inherent to the job position.
The applicant shall be able to coordinate or directly execute the following tasks:
- Lead development team, in respect to established schedule, costs and performances
- Perform tradeoff analysis and decide on solutions, techniques and approaches
- Participate to internal and external meetings and discussions related to relevant issues,
- Participate to and prepare documentation (presentation, technical notes, etc) for the GS and Subsystems milestones; provide all the relevant contribution to upper level reviews.
- Prepare and maintain the Ground Segment subsystems development plans
- Define and lead Ground Segment Subsystems test campaigns and validation activities
- Define and prepare training sessions to internal personnel on G/S generic or specific issues in accordance with owned and acquired expertise
- Coordinate and/or directly execute the following tasks:
- Define and mantain the G/S and Subsystems architecture (functional, software and physical), internal and external G/S and Subsystems interfaces, and technical performance;
- Define G/S and Subsystems specification and review upper level requirement allocation and traceability;
- Define the G/S and Subsystems hardware specification;
- Prepare the documentation of GS and subsystems during all the project phases;
- Coordinate and support the execution of the following tasks:
- Perform trade-off analysis on COTS selection
- Implement, configure and maintain part of the G/S software;
- Execute the G/S subsystems software installation and configuration on hardware platforms;
- Define the Ground segment and related subsystems AIV activities including test plans, test procedures
- Execute AIV activities at G/S and subsystems level
- Perform integration of G/S subsystems in the Ground Segment;
The applicant has got a Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering or another relevant discipline. The applicant has 5 -10 years of professional experience, on Satellite Mission Ground Segment.
The following expertise is considered as mandatory:
- Extensive knowledge in Satellite Ground Segment engineering, development, integration and testing
- Knowledge of ECSS (with greater focus on E branch, E-70 and E-40 disciplines)
- Team coordination experience
The following expertise is considered as an distinct advantage:
- Involvement in nanosatellite projects for ground segments and/or open source mission control software
- Knowledge / experience on Flight Dynamics systems and Mission control systems for Earth Observation missions
- Project management experience
- Knowledge of Linux OS
The applicant shall also possess:
- Very good analytical skills
- Very good communications and presentation skills
- Very good technical writing (generating and delivering) skills
- High level of written and spoken English
- High level of written and spoken Italian is desirable
The position can be opportunely tailored to the applicant level of experience; job tasks and associated required degree of autonomy will be consequently adjusted.
The applicant will be capable of approaching the technical tasks with rigour and discipline, developing and following a systematic, thorough and results-oriented approach.