The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 500 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
As a Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) engineer you will be designing flight control systems for commercial space vehicles. You will be collaborating closely with the entire engineering team to build accurate models of the vehicle and subsystem. You will design control systems, participate in verification of the flight software and support flight test.
- Collaborate with aerodynamics, vehicle design, system design, and avionics to meet vehicle dynamics and control requirements
- Model vehicle and sub-system dynamics in Matlab and Simulink
- Design and implement controllers and Kalman filters for aircraft and space vehicle control
- Build analysis and simulation toolsets for optimizing controller gains, predicting system performance, and assessing control system stability and robustness
- Support GNC aspects of current SS2 project, future customer projects, and internal R&D
What you bring
- Proficient designing and programming algorithms and simulations in C, C++, Matlab, Fortran, and/or Simulink
- Familiar with safety critical system and software development practices
- Expert in Kalman filtering, classical control, and modern control techniques
- Experienced with verification of real-time, safety critical systems
- Able to mentor team members, establish best practices, and lead projects and small teams to advance GNC technology at TSC
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.