Hydrosat is a venture-backed space data analytics company developing a new earth observation constellation and software to unlock the power of thermal infrared imagery.
Our mission is to capture and deliver high resolution thermal infrared data, currently not available from other sources, to provide insights into crop health, drought and wildfire risk, industrial activity, and situational awareness to government and commercial customers.
We are seeking an experienced, results-driven Business Development Executive who has the capability, tenacity, and vision to build the processes and the team that will enable Hydrosat to expand its customer base and target markets. This is a very hands-on position, requiring a strategic thinker, proven success in commercial and government markets, and an exceptional ability and desire to execute and lead. You will work closely with the CEO and other company leaders and your contributions will be critical to Hydrosat’s growth.
NOTE: Job Location is Washington, DC; San Diego / Carlsabd, CA; Remote; or Hybrid
What You’ll Do:
- Responsible for all elements of the sales process from early opportunity identification, lead development, market strategy, initial customer engagement, acquisition and contract closure.
- Ability to define and then execute on a short- and long-term strategic roadmap to drive sales and win business in a manner that aligns with Hydrosat’s goals and objectives, targeting both the commercial and government sectors.
- Identify key markets and business opportunities for growth and formulate a go-to-market strategy to effectively target these markets, tiering the approach for each market to align with the company’s short and long-term objectives. Major markets may include agriculture, government, insurance, environmental, and others.
- Set and meet defined quarterly and annual bookings and sales targets.
- Create meaningful sales reports that capture pipeline activity, progress in priority markets, key actionable activities to win business, and tracks all inbound and outbound initiatives. Consistently collecting, assessing and reporting key sales metrics is a critical responsibility.
- Continually analyze the company’s competition and formulate plans to develop and maintain an advantage.
- Work collaboratively with Hydrosat’s product and technical teams to ensure responsiveness to customer needs and requirements and evolving industry dynamics.
- Contribute to and support the development of collateral, public relations and company messaging and oversee marketing efforts. You will be a champion in building Hydrosat’s brand.
- Attend industry events, conferences, and symposiums to expand relationships, continue identifying customer needs, and expand knowledge of developments in the industry.
- Play a lead role in hiring, training and managing new team members as Hydrosat grows its sales, business development, and product teams.
How to Define Success in this Position:
- Establishing a dynamic short- and long-term strategic plan forward for Hydrosat’s market penetration.
- Success with identifying, qualifying, shaping, and winning new business.
- Meeting, if not exceeding, sales goals.
- Development and growth of new business pipelines.
- Success with new market penetration.
- Ability to build strong internal and external networks and teams.
- Development of enduring relationships across the Customer and industry landscape.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter with high levels of energy and the drive to work within a small, fast-paced, high-growth environment. Specific attributes should include:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated experience (8+ years) developing and executing on commercial strategies
- Experience in the geospatial, data and/or analytics industry
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing a sales pipeline across multiple industry segments, growing backlog and meeting year over year bookings and revenue goals.
- Proven ability in identifying and proposing potential business deals, writing technical proposals, and responding to commercial and/or government solicitations.
- Extensive experience reviewing and negotiating contracts and subcontracts.
- Ability to perform market assessments including gathering and processing competitive intelligence data.
- Experience in presenting and selling to C-suite and board of directors, with exceptional negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Capacity to work with internal stakeholders to capture and communicate customer requirements for on-going product improvement.
- Strategic thinker, problem-solver and decision maker with an understanding of both business and technical issues.
- Clear and confident communicator (written and verbal) who is at ease with product feedback, business development processes, and managing customer relationships.
- Adept at managing people with respect and the desire to be additive in Hydrosat’s and its people’s success.
- Effective leader who inspires and builds teams, but is equally humble and willing to execute at a detailed level.
- Experience in building and managing sales teams.
- Ability to develop technical sales/marketing material including brochures, datasheets, white papers, and customer briefings, deliver in a timely manner.
- The ability to create and present top quality presentations.
- An unabashed advocate and cheerleader for Hydrosat’s achievements and growth.
- Ability to travel for business meetings and conferences.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly MS Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must be a U.S. Person (U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder).
- Geospatial product/industry experience (i.e., a thorough understanding of earth observation and derived products, customer needs, market trends, etc.).
- Early-stage startup experience, directly related to driving sales.
- Experience working with remote or distributed teams
- Incentive Stock Options
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Flexible work location
Hydrosat provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.