Your Choice for Persistent Monitoring
ICEYE is building and operating its own commercial constellation of small Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data available to customers. Our satellites acquire images of Earth at any time – even when it’s cloudy or dark – providing commercial and government partners with unmatched persistent monitoring capabilities. Information derived from our SAR images helps customers make data-driven decisions to address time-critical challenges in various sectors, such as maritime, disaster management, insurance, and finance.
We launched the world’s first small SAR satellite in January 2018. To date, ICEYE has successfully launched a total of 14 SAR satellite missions and has raised $152M in financing. We don’t plan to stop – join our team and let’s achieve great things together!
ICEYE is a Finnish-based international New Space company with employees from more than 40 countries and subsidiaries in the US, UK, Spain, and Poland. Our team is a tight-knit group of experts from a range of areas including engineering, software development, and radar technology. We’re innovative, driven people who strive for excellence in everything we do. Being advocates of our corporate culture, we value teamwork, curiosity, and we know how to have fun!
To support the evolution of our Natural Catastrophe product, we are looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our Analytics Team in the Helsinki area, Finland. The Analytics team is responsible for building solutions that enable near-real-time assessment of the impact of global natural catastrophes. This empowers insurance, first responders, and government clients to provide timely support to people whose livelihoods are destroyed following natural disasters such as hurricanes, wildfires, earthquakes. The Senior Data Scientist will develop and productionize a rigorous approach to modelling the uncertainties in our natural catastrophe solutions. We are building comprehensive solutions that involve not only SAR imagery but also external raster and vector data, streaming ground sensors, and aerial sensor data. Data is both human and machine generated input, adding complexity to baselining product performance. Help our team in developing processes to bring quantitative rigor to our solution development.
What you need to succeed:
- A background in computer science, data science, geospatial analytics, or equivalent
- Extensive software experience with Python
- Deep statistical modelling experience
- Ability to help architect approaches for scalable data modelling across a variety of data types
- The ability to differentiate between the need for quick scripting for data extraction and longer term robust code development. You can write effective quick scripts and also build more sustainable software tools to extract and curate data in scalable ways
- Experience with geospatial datasets & geospatial databases
- Experience with cloud optimized data sets and archiving (e.g. geospatial COGs, STAC)
AWS (e.g. Lambda, RDS, S3, EC2)
- Hadoop or Spark knowledge a plus
- Strong problem solving & communication skills
- Ability to lead small teams
What we offer:
- A job that matters in a dynamic New Space environment with a scale-up approach
- An independent role with a supportive and diverse work environment
- Occupational healthcare, occupational and private insurance
- A yearly benefit budget to spend as you wish (i.e. on sport, transport, wellness, lunch, etc.)
- Relocation support (i.e. flight tickets, accommodation, relocation buddy program)
- Time for self-development, research, training, conferences, or certification schemes
- Inspiring and collaborating offices and silent workspaces enabling you to focus
- Regular internal events for employees (e.g. sports events, team-building events, parties, etc.)
- A wide variety of best coffee, tea, snacks, and sweets to accompany your daily space mission