The world currently faces three key problems around Earth Observation Data: reliability, timeliness, access. To address these issues directly, the ICEYE radar satellite constellation is here to change the way we look at our world from space.
Who are we?
We are a Finnish-based international New Space company with employees from more than 57 countries in Finland, the US, the UK, Spain, Luxembourg, and Poland. Our team is a tight-knit group of experts from areas including engineering, software development, and radar technology. We’re innovative, driven people who strive for excellence in everything we do. Being advocates of our corporate culture, we value teamwork and curiosity, and we know how to have fun!
What do we do?
ICEYE is building and operating its commercial constellation of small Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data available to customers. Our satellites acquire images of Earth at any time – even when it’s cloudy or dark – providing commercial and government partners with unmatched persistent monitoring capabilities. Information derived from our SAR images helps customers make data-driven decisions to address time-critical challenges in various sectors, such as maritime, disaster management, insurance, and finance.
Need for the role
The ICEYE satellite constellation produces a huge amount of telemetry everyday. Inspection of near real time telemetry is crucial for operating satellites. Long-term telemetry analysis helps to understand the behavior of the spacecraft, debug sudden anomalies and provide feedback to the existing operational procedure as well as the design of new satellites.
The work of Spacecraft Engineers and Satellite Operators require easy access to both short term and long term telemetry. Hence, there is a need for processing, storing and exposing the huge amount of telemetry in a meaningful way to our users so that they can focus on their strengths i.e analyzing the behavior of the satellite subsystems or monitoring of the spacecraft’s health. With the growing numbers of the satellites, it is also neither possible to monitor all the telemetry parameters for each satellite separately nor carry out similar analysis manually every now and then. This brings the need of automation and creation of an intelligent satellite health monitoring system with necessary alerting features.
You will work as a member of the Telemetry Team focusing primarily on the on-ground handling of the telemetry databases produced on-board.
- Development of highly scalable and resilient storage, services/data pipelines for both short term and long term telemetry analysis use cases.
- Build API to expose data to users. Understanding telemetry use cases from the users’ perspective is important to build meaningful API for them.
- Development of a post-processing telemetry warehouse platform to allow meaningful data reduction and visualization.
- Develop a meaningful satellite configuration management system for ease of fleet handling and automation.
- Promote the use of meaningful data archiving techniques.
- Improve the data quality and reliability of the pipeline through proper monitoring and failure handling
- Take active part in architecture-related discussions
- Drive process discovery and resolution of technical blockers; generate ideas, and identify / solve problems.
- Produce simple, high quality clean code using frameworks, services, and reusable assets where possible.
Prior experience of working with satellite telemetry is not mandatory, but knowledge of working with large data-oriented software development is crucial for the successful completion of your day to day work. You shall be expected to analyze the data and develop software services for it.
Your work would include design, development and maintenance of both software and infrastructure solutions for an end to end complex data solution. So, overall this role is a mixture of Data Engineering with an interest towards Data Science knowledge.
- Work/proven experience in data-oriented software engineering ( 3-5 years)
- Excellent experience with data processing/analysis libraries (e.g. numpy, pandas, etc) and programming skill (Python)
- Understanding of Time Series Data Analysis and Visualization Techniques
- Interest towards understanding satellite subsystems and generated telemetry
- Good communication skill to participate in cross departmental projects
- Comfortable finding his/her own way and living well in the continuous stream of change that is inevitable in a start-up that is beginning to scale
- Expertise in non-relational and relational databases, understanding how different data structures can affect the performance
You are expected to work with the environment/tools listed below. Thus, in order to ramp up the work, a certain level of prior knowledge and willingness to learn more is required.
- Experience in distributed clusters and container orchestration (Kubernetes, Docker)
- Experience in API development (RESTful API)
- Basic knowledge of infrastructure as a code (Terraform, Ansible) for resource and service provisioning
- Experience in cloud based development (AWS)
- Dedication to code quality, automation and operational excellence: CI/CD pipelines(Github actions), unit/integration tests
- General understanding of good software development practices
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of Machine Learning concepts
- Familiarity with GraphQL
- Experience of working with Time Series DB (InfluxDB is an extra plus!)
- Experience with building Data Warehouse
- Experience with Apache Spark, Dask, or any similar data processing framework
- Experience with handling Satellite Data (of any kind)
What we offer:
- A job that matters in a dynamic New Space environment with a scale-up approach
- An independent role with a supportive and diverse work environment
- Occupational healthcare, occupational and private insurance
- A yearly benefit budget to spend as you wish (i.e. on sport, transport, wellness, lunch, etc.)
- Relocation support (i.e. flight tickets, accommodation, relocation buddy program)
- Time for self-development, research, training, conferences, or certification schemes
- Inspiring and collaborating offices and silent workspaces enabling you to focus
- Regular internal events for employees (e.g. sports events, team-building events, parties, etc.)
- A wide variety of best coffee, tea, snacks, and sweets to accompany your daily space mission
Diversity & inclusion are core values at ICEYE. We are passionate about building and sustaining inclusive and equitable working and learning environments for all staff. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions.
Could this be the role for you? Apply now to start your journey with ICEYE. We are looking forward to receiving your application in English as soon as possible.
We are making the impossible possible together.