Lead Quality Software Engineer
ICEYE is building and operating its commercial constellation of small Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data available to customers. Our satellites acquire images of Earth at any time even when its cloudy or dark providing commercial and government partners with unmatched persistent monitoring capabilities. Information derived from our SAR images helps customers make data-driven decisions to address time-critical challenges in various sectors, such as maritime, disaster management, insurance, and finance.
Hiring Model: Hybrid
Who are we:
We are a Finnish-based international New Space company with employees from more than 57 countries in Finland, the US, the UK, Spain, Luxembourg, and Poland. Our team is a tight-knit group of experts from areas including engineering, software development, and radar technology. We’re innovative, driven people who strive for excellence in everything we do. Being advocates of our corporate culture, we value teamwork and curiosity, and we know how to have fun!
What do we do:
ICEYE is building and operating its commercial constellation of small Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data available to customers. Our satellites acquire images of Earth at any time – even when it’s cloudy or dark – providing commercial and government partners with unmatched persistent monitoring capabilities. Information derived from our SAR images helps customers make data-driven decisions to address time-critical challenges in various sectors, such as maritime, disaster management, insurance, and finance.
What are we looking for:
To support the company’s growth, we are now looking for an experienced Lead Quality Engineer to join our Flight Software team. The position location is in our headquarters in Espoo, Finland.
About the role:
ICEYE is committed to delivering high-quality data on time to its customers. You will help to ensure it will keep happening working in the Flight Software team.
Our team is responsible for the software that runs in the embedded systems of ICEYE’s spacecraft. This software manages onboard activities, data processing, power management, communication with the ground, propulsion system, and spacecraft health and safety. You will work with technologies such as Embedded Linux, ARM-based microcontrollers, SoCs, and RTOS.
The Flight Software team is a critical group in the company, continuously implementing new features and developing new subsystems for the new satellites and the ones in our fleet. You will build and lead the process and strategy for a good quality approach. We would appreciate it if you could help us with the full view of the test pyramid.
- Creates a full view of the Flight Software team’s test pyramid and directs the quality investment to the right place across the unit, automation, and manual verification.
- Builds process and strategy for the excellent quality approach and what the right tool is for the problem.
- Triage of issues found on the field and generate predictive actions based on learnings. Work closely with cross-functional teams to identify and prioritize problems and develop and implement strategies for improving the software’s reliability, performance, and security.
- Ensure the quality of feature requirements by analyzing and verifying them with the development team and product owner as a part of an agile team.
- Ensure the quality of released features by developing detailed test plans, defining and creating test scenarios, executing test scripts, assessing test results, creating test result reports, and reporting bugs and incidents.
- Executing end-to-end test scenarios and validating the results against expected system behavior.
- Keeping our test automation technologies and approach up-to-date by integrating automated testing tools and test harnesses as required.
- Decrease the risk of introducing incidents and bugs by incrementally increasing test automation coverage at integration and above test levels.
- Contribute to a collaborative team culture that recognizes the roles of autonomy, mastery, and purpose in enabling us to do our best work.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in embedded system tests/Testing.
- Solid understanding of QA principles and practices.
- Ability to work independently and lead QA development activities as part of the development team.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the product owner, team members, and business stakeholders.
- Embedded systems test automation experience.
- Excellent code skills in Python: proficiency in writing and running automated tests using Python-based test frameworks and tools, as well as experience in using Python for scripting and automation tasks related to testing.
- Experience in functional verification and validation activities in embedded Linux and RTOS systems.
- Passion for solving complex problems in a team environment.
Preferred to have:
- Expertise in embedded software (bare-metal (no-OS), RTOS-based, and Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) libraries) for ARM-based microcontrollers or SoCs.
- Excellent documentation skills, including writing clear and concise test plans, test cases, and test reports and communicating results effectively to stakeholders.
- Proven experience in functional verification and validation activities (e.g., specification and development of test facilities and simulation models; definition of test plans, specifications, and procedures; functional validation performed on avionics and instrument test benches; support to System Validation Test campaigns).
- Good understanding of configuration management, issue tracking best practices, and familiarity with related tools (such as GitHub and Jira).
- Creative approach to problem-solving and exceptional analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- A job that matters in a dynamic New Space environment with a scale-up approach.
- An independent role with a supportive and diverse work environment.
- Time for self-development, research, training, conferences, or certification schemes.
- A yearly benefit budget to spend as you wish (ie Auntie, language learning, coaching, budget for additional work equipment for home, charity activity).
- Diversity & inclusion are core values at ICEYE. We are passionate about building and sustaining inclusive and equitable working and learning environments for all staff. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions.
Could this be the role for you? Apply now to start your journey with ICEYE. We are making the impossible possible together.
Riya Vidhani (Talent Acquisition Partner)
Please note that in accordance with ICEYE’s policy, voluntary consent for background checks is required for individuals being considered for employment globally.