Upload your business in space
We are looking for a Ground Segment Engineer due to the rapid growth of our organisation.
This is an exciting role which will suit an enthusiastic, self-starting individual who is happy to learn quickly, and assume responsibility for their work. They will be comfortable working with other technical specialists to develop, deliver and maintain a wide range of ground segment solutions and services to a variety of different space missions. The successful individual will enjoy working as part of a team, is willing to flex their priorities to support others where necessary and is comfortable with a fast-paced environment. It will require someone who takes pride in their work, and can present a professional face to clients, suppliers and partners.
The role requires some knowledge and experience of computer hardware and networks, and a proven capability for coding/scripting. The right attitude is equally as important as background and experience.
While the primary responsibilities of the role lie in ground segment delivery, the role may require some bid support and other reasonable responsibilities as required by the business. You will be actively encouraged to maintain a current interest in space industry developments.
Responsibilities will include:
- Developing, building and testing elements of ground segment architecture with support from senior design engineers against requirements;
- Planning work and reporting progress to other engineers and project managers (initially with the support of senior engineers);
- Specifying, developing and testing scripts and code elements to support various elements of the ground segment architecture and operational services running on it;
- Working closely with the operations team and service manager(s) to understand the operational impact of any designs, implementations or changes;
- Monitoring system performance and proposing approaches for maintenance and improvement;
- Supporting operational activities such as spacecraft commissioning and on ground testing;
- Working with AIT and systems engineers to ensure commonality between ground segment and spacecraft test equipment;
- Interfacing with customers and suppliers (initially with support from senior engineers);
- Definition and management of ground segment interfaces;
- Derivation, management and execution of Validation and Verification activities (initially with support of senior engineers);
- Collaboration with project managers to provide inputs to schedules; risk management plans; budget management and other project artefacts as required.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR: EDUCATION AND/ OR EXPEREINCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
Educated to either:
- At least Level 3 qualification level (A-levels, NVQ level 3 or similar) in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline with appropriate experience to demonstrate technical capability, or:
- At least Level 6 qualification level (Bachelor’s degree, apprenticeship degree, NVQ level 6 or similar) in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline.
- Proven ability to work well as a member of a team.
- Experience in most of the following areas is required:
- Designing, developing, documenting and testing scripts and code elements
- Planning, monitoring and reporting on work (schedule and budget if appropriate)
- Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team to design, develop and/or deliver a system
- Following and defining working processes
- Interfacing with and/or managing suppliers
- Working with or delivering services to controlled performance levels (KPIs or SLAs).
- Skills (note an applicant is not expected to have all the skills below, but a level of experience/competence that would allow them to become proficient is required):
- Proficient in general scripting languages e.g. Python, Batch files
- Familiarity with Linux and Windows OSes
- Familiarity with client-side frameworks such as Angular, Vue or React
- Familiarity with SQL databases
- Familiarity with several programming languages for example: ‘C’, C++, embedded C, Java
- Familiarity with CI/CD systems an advantage
- Building and testing computer networks an advantage
- Familiarity with machine learning techniques and integration an advantage
- Proficient with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Project)
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal
- Confident working in project delivery and bid teams
- Autonomous worker
- Positive and helpful attitude
- Supportive of developing other staff members
- Attention to detail
- Calm and professional approach to work.
In-Space Missions Ltd is an innovative and exciting space company operating out of dedicated satellite manufacturing facilities in Alton, Hampshire, UK. Formed in 2015, In-Space has grown to become the leading UK owned space prime, offering the first payload rideshare service in Europe as well as dedicated spacecraft-design/build/operate capability to customers across large and small industry alike, government, space agencies and academia.
In-Space successfully launched Faraday Phoenix in July 2021, its first payload rideshare satellite on-orbit and has multiple more satellites in build due to launch during 2022 and 2023. In-Space has a fun and dedicated team who value hard work, a positive attitude and solution-focused thinking. We welcome applicants who will embrace their role and take responsibility for their work. Working in a small company needs flexibility which works both ways, ensuring that everyone has a good work-life balance.
In September 2021, In-Space was delighted to announce its acquisition by BAE Systems and the company continues to work as a separate legal entity and business unit with close links into its new parent.
In-Space has a close-knit and supportive team, with diversity and inclusion being a key to our success. This year we are looking to rapidly expand our team in order to deliver our growing order book whilst maintaining our small company ethos and agility, something which is at the heart of our culture. We welcome varying backgrounds, skills, perspectives and life experiences.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace