Upload your business in space
We are currently seeking a Mechanical CAD Designer to join our rapidly expanding team working on microsatellites weighing 40-150kg. The role will include the mechanical CAD design tasks involved in the development and launch of satellite missions, working in project teams to ensure the structural design and spacecraft layout meets mission needs.
This is an exciting role which will suit an enthusiastic, self-starting individual who is happy to work on a range of activities from technical studies to small spacecraft systems and subsystems.
The role requires in depth knowledge and experience of using a 3D CAD package (preferably Solidworks) for the design and development of satellite structures and supporting equipment from concept level to detailed design and build.
You will be working as part of a motivated, supportive, highly capable multidisciplinary team, to deliver projects within time and budget. You will have a willingness to learn, and the ability to work with others to identify and resolve technical issues. The right attitude is equally as important as background and experience.
The successful individual will be able to flex their priorities to support others where necessary and is comfortable with a fast-paced environment. The role will require someone who takes pride in their work, and can present a professional face to clients, suppliers and partners.
While the primary responsibilities of the role lie in project delivery, the role will also require some bid support and other reasonable responsibilities as required by the business. You will be actively encouraged to maintain a current interest in space industry developments and are expected to pro-actively identify business/technology promotion opportunities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Create and maintain detailed 3D CAD models and 2D drawings of the configurable Faraday Structure, including the primary structure and supporting mechanical elements
- Develop design concepts using 3D models, 2D drawings and prototypes
- Produce 3D CAD models from concept level through to manufacturing, meeting relevant engineering standards for accuracy, clarity, and quality
- Produce detailed engineering manufacturing drawings, specifications, BOM and part lists
- Support the derivation and management of system mass budgets and margins (including MoI and CoG tracking)
- Ability to rapidly generate new layouts / configurations to support bids and proposals
- Work closely with other disciplines, manufacturing departments and suppliers
- Working closely with spacecraft systems, mechanical systems and subsystem engineers within mission project teams
- Technical input mission level reviews, internally and to customers
- Support the definition, design, and build of MGSE
- Plan and manage own work in-line with project requirements
Depending on your level of experience you will report into a senior member of the Engineering team and your work will be prioritized in discussion with them.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR: EDUCATION AND/ OR EXPEREINCE REQUIRED
- A HNC/HND or degree in relevant scientific or engineering discipline and/or demonstrable design experience; Preferably Mechanical or Aerospace engineering.
- Experience in some of the following areas is required (relevant to level of experience):
- Mechanical design of a small satellite programme, or complex subsystem on a larger project
- Rapid concept development through to detailed 3D CAD design
- Spacecraft / SQM AIT
- Delivery of space technology and/or space mission studies or R&D projects
- Technical pre-sales support during bid activity
- Working in and collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams
- Interfacing to external clients
- Reporting project progress to internal stakeholders
- Working with suppliers, particularly managing sub-contractor consultants
- Following processes
- Knowledge of Space Standards (i.e. ECSS)
- Knowledge of UK Space Industry
- Proficient in 3D CAD package for both modelling and drawing, ideally Solidworks (including ePDM)
- Ability to interpret and create high quality engineering CAD models and manufacturing drawings, including GD&T
- Understanding of a range of machining methods and processes for manufacture of components
- Experience maintaining designs through whole product lifecycle; from concept, preliminary design, detailed design, manufacture through to assembly integration and test
- Experience in designing mechanical components, parts, jigs and assemblies
- In-depth understanding of Mechanical Engineering processes
- Appreciation of requirements of other subsystems that impact the mechanical design / layout of spacecraft i.e. thermal, micro-vibration, AOCS etc.
- Familiarity with interpreting the requirements presented in launch vehicle user manuals
- Strong understanding of methods and approaches for spacecraft level mechanical testing, including supporting standards such as NASA GEVS
- Proficient with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal
- Confident working in project delivery and bid teams
- Managing multiple design tasks at once
- Experience with a FEM package (Nastran etc).
- Ability to work well as a member of a team
- Autonomous worker
- Positive and helpful attitude
- Willingness to learn
- Attention to detail
- Calm and professional approach to work
In-Space Missions Ltd is an innovative and exciting space company operating out of dedicated facilities in Alton, Hampshire, UK. Formed in August 2015, In-Space has grown to become the UK’s leading small space prime, offering the first payload rideshare service in Europe as well as dedicated spacecraft-design/build/operate capability to customers across large and small industry alike, government, space agencies and academia.
In-Space successfully launched Faraday Phoenix in July 2021, its first payload rideshare satellite on-orbit and has multiple more satellites in build due to launch across 2022 and 2023. The satellites are built on-site so you will be able to see them come together in the clean room on a day-to-day basis. In-Space has a fun and dedicated team who value hard work, a positive attitude and solution-focused thinking. We welcome applicants who will embrace their role and take responsibility for their work. Working in a small company needs flexibility which works both ways, ensuring that everyone has a good work-life balance.
In-Space are also passionate about diversity and outreach. We work with schools and other educational institutions to enthuse the next generation of spacecraft operators and engineers. We actively seek to create a working environment that is fair and welcoming to all. We also care about the environmental impact of our business and are working to ensure we do business sustainably and responsibly.
In-Space was delighted to announce its acquisition by BAE Systems Digital Intelligence in September 2021 and now works closely with BAE whilst maintaining its small company ethos
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace