Upload your business into space
In-Space Missions Ltd is a small space mission consultancy and spacecraft service provider based in Hampshire. The company was formed in August 2015 and has grown since then, building a team of experienced Space industry professionals to support large and small Industrial partners, government agencies and academic institutions. In 2018 In-Space announced its “Faraday” service – the first European commercial payload hosting service, followed shortly by winning an ESA Pioneer contract to develop the next generation faraday service. In-Space has also won dedicated nanosatellite and microsatellite programmes working with clients from mission concepts through to launch and operations.
In-Space has a fun and dedicated team who value hard work, a positive attitude and solution-focused thinking. We welcome applicants who will embrace their role and the flexibility required when working in a small company, and we reward dedication and results with a flexible environment to allow employees to flourish while meeting other requirements they may have in their life.
This is an exciting role which will suit an enthusiastic, self-starting individual who is interested in operating a range of spacecraft missions from initial operational concepts through launch and early phase, operations and de-commissioning. They will be comfortable working as part of a team to deliver services to a variety of customers including institutional, academic and commercial organisations. The successful individual will enjoy working as part of a team, is willing to flex their priorities to support others where necessary and is comfortable with a fast-paced environment. It will require someone who takes pride in their work, and can present a professional face to clients, suppliers and partners.
The role requires knowledge and experience of operating spacecraft, an understanding of spacecraft system engineering, willingness to learn and the ability to work with others to identify and resolve technical issues. The right attitude is equally as important as background and experience and support and training will be provided as appropriate to the experience of the successful candidate.
While the primary responsibilities of the role lie in the delivery of operational services, the role may require some bid support and other reasonable responsibilities as required by the business. You will be actively encouraged to maintain a current interest in space industry developments and are expected to pro-actively identify business/technology promotion opportunities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring spacecraft operational services are delivered to a high quality and to contractual obligations;
- Developing spacecraft operational architectures;
- Developing and testing spacecraft operational procedures;
- Co-ordinating and managing technical inputs to spacecraft operational concepts from internal and external parties including (but not limited to):
- Payload providers;
- Sub-contractors and suppliers (including launch providers);
- Regulatory authorities.
- Definition and/or management of operational requirements for spacecraft mission delivery;
- Management of spacecraft operational interfaces;
- Management and maintenance of operational software tools;
- Management and execution of operational Validation and Verification.
- Collaboration with project managers to provide inputs to schedules; risk management plans; budget management and other project artefacts as required;
- Technical pre-sales support to prospecting and bid activities;
- Provision of technical inputs into technical consultancy activities such as customer supports, studies and R&D projects.
You will report into a senior member of the Engineering Team and your work will be prioritized in discussion with them.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Educated to degree -level or equivalent in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline; or a suitable mixture of Level 4/5 academic qualifications and experience.
- Proven ability to work well as a member of a team.
- Experience in or knowledge of some of the following areas is required (appropriate to experience level):
- Delivery of operational services on a small satellite programme, preferably across the full project lifecycle;
- Development of spacecraft operating approaches, architectures and operating procedures;
- Technical delivery of complex systems, software or electronic hardware;
- Spacecraft AIT;
- Delivery of space technology and/or space mission studies or R&D projects;
- Technical pre-sales support during bid activity;
- Working in and collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams;
- Interfacing to external clients;
- Reporting project progress to internal stakeholders;
- Working with suppliers;
- Following processes;
- Knowledge of Space Standards (i.e. ECSS);
- Knowledge of UK Space Industry.
- Proficient in structuring, interpreting and parsing datasets;
- Proficient in general programming and scripting a significant advantage;
- Proficient with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Project);
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal;
- Confident working in project delivery and bid teams.
- Works well in a team;
- Autonomous worker;
- Positive and helpful attitude;
- Willingness to learn;
- Attention to detail;
- Calm and professional approach to work.