In-Space Missions are world class experts who design, build and operate physical and digital space missions for global customers from our UK site.
Who are you?
You will have strong technical knowledge and be comfortable working on complex systems. You will be experienced in development and analysis of estimation and/or control algorithms and you will have the ability to pick up new concepts quickly and enjoy collaborating and working within a team.
You will be educated to at least degree- level in a relevant mathematical, scientific or engineering discipline.
Knowledge/experience in some of the following areas is required:
- Dynamics & control system theory;
- Orbital Dynamics
- Development of estimation and control algorithms;
- Technical delivery of complex systems;
- Delivery of space technology and/or space mission studies or R&D projects;
- Working in and collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams;
- Reporting project progress to internal stakeholders.
- Technical pre-sales support during bid activity;
- Knowledge of Space Standards (i.e. ECSS);
- Knowledge of UK Space Industry.
- A good understanding of rigid body dynamics and other dynamic motions (i.e. orbital motion);
- Proficient in use of appropriate technical modelling tools (for example MATLAB/Octave and/or others);
- Proficient with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Project);
- Confident working in project delivery and bid teams.
What will you be doing here? Reporting into a senior member of the Software Team, your responsibilities will include:
- Derivation of Spacecraft Attitude and Orbit determination and control algorithms
- Derivation of spacecraft attitude and orbit knowledge, estimation and control requirements from user, mission and system requirements;
- Contributions to system level activities such as requirements management, FMECA and FDIR.
- Support and input into micro-vibration management campaigns.
- Algorithm definition for technical specifications to be provided to software developers;
- Selection of appropriate subsystem hardware to support meeting the knowledge, estimation and control requirements;
- Derivation and management of subsystem technical budgets and margins (such as pointing budget, stability budget), with support from senior team members as required.
- Derivation of subsystem level analyses of estimation and control performance
- Management and execution of Validation and Verification activities at a subsystem level (including lab testing).
- Collaboration with project managers to provide inputs to schedules; risk management plans; budget management and other project artefacts as required;
- Technical pre-sales support to prospecting and bid activities;
- Analysis of in-orbit performance
- Provision of technical inputs into technical consultancy activities such as customer supports, studies and R&D projects.
About In-Space Missions In-Space Missions (ISM) are world class experts who design, build and operate space missions for global customers from our UK site. We also offer ‘Space as a Service’ by flying customer payloads on our spacecraft and by providing customers the ability to upload digital applications to operate on our hardware. ISM was founded in 2015 and has grown to comprise approximately 90 staff. The company was acquired by BAE Systems in 2021 but continues to operate as a separate business with our offices and satellite cleanrooms located in Alton, Hampshire in the UK. Culture We have a close-knit and supportive team, with diversity and inclusion being a key to our success. Although we are looking to rapidly expand our team, we are passionate about maintaining our small company ethos, something which is at the heart of our culture. We welcome varying backgrounds, skills, perspectives and life experiences. Here at In-Space Missions we are embracing Hybrid Working. Wherever possible, we offer flexible working arrangements to allow us to balance our work and personal life more effectively.
What can we offer you?
30 days holiday a year plus bank holidays
10% Non-Contributory Pension
Private medical insurance and life insurance (provided by AXA)
Death in Service
Option to join BAE Share Incentive Plan
A fun work environment, full of opportunities for career growth
Team meetups, including team-building days and office parties!
Access to Rewards Plus- Benefits portal offering discounts to a host of retailers
If you’ve been shortlisted for the role, our Recruitment team will reach out to schedule an initial conversation and talk you through our interview process in detail. Additionally, if you don’t meet all the criteria, please still apply. We really enjoy meeting diverse people who might bring a fresh perspective on a problem we need to solve! Unfortunately, we do not offer sponsorship. Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within In-Space Missions. Successful candidates for this role may be required to go through Government SC clearance.