Upload your business into space
In-Space Missions Ltd is a small space mission consultancy and spacecraft service provider based in Hampshire. The company was formed in August 2015 and has grown since then, building a team of experienced Space industry professionals to support large and small Industrial partners, government agencies and academic institutions. In 2018 In-Space announced its “Faraday” service – the first European commercial payload hosting service, followed shortly by winning an ESA Pioneer contract to develop the next generation Faraday service. In-Space has also won dedicated nanosatellite and microsatellite programmes working with clients from mission concepts through to launch and operations.
In-Space has a fun and dedicated team who value hard work, a positive attitude and solution-focused thinking. We welcome applicants who will embrace their role and the flexibility required when working in a small company, and we reward dedication and results with a flexible environment to allow employees to flourish while meeting other requirements they may have in their life.
This is an exciting role which will suit an enthusiastic, self-starting individual who is happy to take responsibility for a range of activities from technical studies, detailed design, development and test. They will be comfortable working with other technical specialists to deliver a wide range of projects to a variety of customers including institutional, academic and commercial organisations. The successful individual will enjoy working as part of a team, is willing to flex their priorities to support others where necessary and is comfortable with a fast-paced environment. It will require someone who takes pride in their work, and can present a professional face to clients, suppliers and partners.
The role requires experience in designing, developing, building and testing RF systems with a particular emphasis on software defined radios (programmable software and logic) and signal processing, and a proven ability to manage risks and take pragmatic approaches to resolving technical issues.
The primary focus of the role is on development and requires expertise in the domain. Space experience is not required, as the team around you will provide all the necessary guidance and training regarding the space domain. You will be actively encouraged to maintain up to date knowledge in the technology domain and in space industry developments and are expected to pro-actively identify business/technology promotion opportunities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assist in derivation and management of technical requirements from mission and system down to subsystem and equipment or components including software and firmware
- Design, development, prototyping, build and test of RF subsystems including incorporating experience of implementing of firmware and software in the signal chain for use in communications and navigation
- Design and delivery of payloads for flight.
- Design activities including:
- Derivation of technical requirements
- Signal analysis, characterisation and processing across the analogue and digital domain
- Testing and measurement of RF signals and performance (analogue and digital)
- Signal processing algorithm design and development
- Software and firmware design and programming
- Implementation of development and test beds
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRMENTS
- Educated to at least degree -level or equivalent in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline with a demonstrable ability in application of RF and digital signal processing
- Proven ability to work well as a member of a team
- Experience in the following areas is required:
- Technical delivery of RF development, with a particular emphasis on the cross over between analogue and digital signals and waveforms
- Some knowledge of navigation methods and implementation is an advantage
- Derivation and management of technical requirements for the development of software & DSP applications along with RF signals and waveforms
- Demonstrable ability in RF analysis and design in analogue and digital including modulation schemes & waveforms and their implication on system design specification and performance
- Experience in the use of Xilinx SoCs and Analogue Devices RF devices
- Experience of developing firmware applications in VHDL or management of requirements for developing HDL code
- Proficiency in software such as Linux, Vivado, C, Python, Matlab
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal
- Good planning skills for development projects
- Confident working in project delivery
- Autonomous worker
- Positive and helpful attitude
- Supportive of developing other staff members
- Attention to detail
- Calm and professional approach to work