Senior IT Infrastructure Manager
Benefits and perks:
- Competitive salary plus bonus
- Hybrid working
- 25 days’ paid holiday increasing each year
- Extra day off for your birthday and to volunteer
- Private medical insurance
- Massages in the office
- Sweet Tuesdays
- Team sports activities
- Recruitment referral bonus
- Enhanced pay for new parents
Who are we?
Hyperoptic is the UK’s hyperfast broadband provider.
We offer broadband speeds 11x faster than the UK average, proudly setting a new fibre ‘gold standard’ with hyperfast speed, reliability and customer service.
Here in Belgrade, we support our UK colleagues in a shared mission: to gigabit Britain. Our office started up in Belgrade in 2013 with what was then 20 developers. Now it’s grown into our largest office with more than 700 people.
Whatever we’re doing, going beyond the expected is the benchmark.
We work smarter, together, being agile and responding with the speed our business and customers demand – without compromising on quality. We stay focused, performing at our best to ensure we are focused on hitting targets and goals together. And we strive for excellence, paying attention to the detail, constantly seeking to stretch ourselves and find better ways of doing things.
And today we’re looking for a Senior IT Infrastructure Manager who shares these values. Does this sound like you?
Summary of key responsibilities/deliverables
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Systems Manager to lead and manage the design and build of large-scale systems, maintain high availability and drive down costs through efficiency programs and infrastructure projects across our public cloud and hosting infrastructure in our managed data centres.
The role requires to:
- Manage a team of System Designers and System Engineers
- Create and own the Systems Design documentation.
- Work closely with the the Director of Architecture, Head of Telecom Architecture, Head of Security, Head of Operations to ensure the technology is used to maximize value and benefits to the company and its customers.
- Collaborate with vendors on developing the right technical solution.
- Propose and validate designs for AWS, Google Cloud, VMware, Kubernetes.
- Leads development projects of private and public cloud solutions (on-prem, AWS and GCP) for a mix of workloads: legacy VMs, containerised and cloud-native, databases, cloud interconnects, VPN and direct, resilience and failover – in line with industry best practices.
- Drives the buildout of computing and storage infrastructure: HW and SW vendor and model selection, storage systems, SAN, DPUs, network, firewalls, load balancers, space and power, security, cloud repatriation and cost optimisation.
- Ensure high availability of systems and platforms
- Align all IT support activities with security policies and business continuity standards
The successful candidate will support the development, maintenance and improvements of a suite of technology solutions and products that can be used to improve our deployment of network services, AAA, DNS, NMS, and CRM/BSS/OSS.
What will you be doing?
- Responsible for maintaining high availability and driving down costs through efficiency programs and infrastructure projects.
- Own the public and private clouds design, with focuses on high-availability, security and cost-efficiency
- Maintain audit and compliance requirements both internal and external as relates to the hosting infrastructure.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to ensure smooth operations of our infrastructure.
- Continuously evaluate and improve systems and processes to meet performance and cost objectives.
- Develop and implement best practices and standard operating procedures for the team.
- Specify planning rules for system administrators to use the correct technology and software building blocks such as hypervisor and container virtualisation (VMware Tanzu, bare-metal, Kubernetes, VMware vSphere), orchestration software stacks (MAAS), VNFI platforms, scaling, systems HW build rules, logging and telemetry collection software stacks etc., as the situation requires.
- Champion a reliability engineering-driven approach, with a focus on automating any repeat tasks.
- Continuously look at opportunities to improve the cost and efficiency of the telco systems infrastructure.
- Define success criteria for deployments including test methodology
What are we looking for?
- Advanced knowledge of Unix, Linux, K8, RADIUS, DNS, syslog, TCP/IP, Python/Ruby, KVM, iptables, BPF and/or a strong experience of integrations of computer systems with network equipment.
- Experience deploying and managing petabyte-scale systems supporting varied workloads. A mature approach to accessing price/performance, tiering and backup requirements.
- Container Orchestration (Kubernetes) Experience with: PSPs, helm, admission/mutation controllers, PVs/PVCs, kube-router, and BGP – generally demonstrated ability dig deep into the k8s projects to solve hard problems.
- Understanding of security best practices of public and private cloud-based services and telecommunications infrastructure.
- Managing program/delivery management teams.
- Experience in building and developing effective teams.
- Experience in security management in the telecommunications industry.
- Experience in managing external software delivery vendor.
- Good knowledge of systems analysis and enterprise solutions.
- Good knowledge and understanding of agile delivery methods.
- Determination and commitment to deliver.
- Proactive and hands-on approach.
- Leadership and team management skills, with the ability to motivate and inspire teams to achieve their best.
- Results-driven and able to prioritize work to deliver against business objectives and KPIs.
We’re committed to providing equal opportunities to all applicants and employees. In fact, this is at the heart of our culture and values. We welcome applications from candidates from all walks of life.
What happens next?
- You apply
- We carefully review your application
- We’ll get back to you — even if it’s a no (for now)