A call home from the middle of the ocean, a lifeline when disaster strikes, a safely routed flight, a mission-critical ops report. Our world-leading satellite communication networks touch every aspect of life. Inmarsat has led the way in global mobile satellite communications for over 40 years. We solve the toughest connectivity challenges of our customers, anywhere in the world. Working with our global network of partners, we have all your satellite communication needs covered – today and far into the future.
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat’s Government business unit delivers against the requirements for voice, data and video services with demand for global availability and utmost reliability. Whether a military commander on operations, a government official responding to a local emergency or a head of state conducting international affairs, Inmarsat provides them with essential access to voice and broadband data, where and when they need it.
Primary role purpose:
This engineering role is specifically designed to support Inmarsat Global Government (G2) direct customers’ telecommunications needs as a first point of contact for their operational support requirements. This includes receiving and actioning customer standard service requests, responding to service incidents and outages to diagnose faults and restore services, maintaining customer facing IT services, as well as testing and preparing satellite terminal hardware for field operations.
The G2 Service Desk Engineer will need to engage with both the end customer in the field as well as Inmarsat NOC, NCC and other internal teams to facilitate the delivery and/or restoration of services within required time frames.
The G2 Service Desk Engineer will work under the direct supervision of the Regional Engineering Managers and indirect supervision of Global Sales Support Manager to develop the skills required to oversee support to the direct customers.
The Service Desk will operate a 24/7/365 follow the sun model between Sydney, Australia (12hrs) and Ottawa, Canada (12hrs), hence excellent communications skills, logical ways of working and good hand-over notes are essential to ensure that support can be transitioned seamlessly between overseas team shifts for completions when necessary.
- Main point of contact for customer requests and issues under a direct contract with G2 (All non-standard requests will initially be dealt with by Sales and the Commercial teams up to the point of implementation)
- Work a rotating shift pattern to ensure the service desk is supported at all times (24/7/365)
- Answer customer calls and emails in fluent English language
- Triage the requests and incidents, conduct further investigation as required and progress the delivery or resolution
- Provide customer staff in the field with telephone support in equipment operation and fault-finding
- Understand the full G2 product set from a set up and support perspective
- Completion of allocated tasks to required quality within the agreed completion schedule
- Ensure all support Service Level Agreements are met, keeping customer updated on progress
- Conduct maintenance activities on IT systems and satellite terminal hardware in accordance with documented Work Instructions
- Generation of knowledge articles to assist or speed up future operations
- Must be committed to on-going personal development.
- Must be committed to continual improvement of the processes and ways of working
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Diploma or Degree in an Engineering discipline relevant to IT server administration, IP network engineering or telecommunications
- Maintenance and support of physical and virtual Windows Server systems
- Troubleshooting and resolving networking or communications systems incidents
- Ability to prepare technical documentation and reports under supervision
- Must have a problem solving approach and be creative under pressure
- Must be able to listen and empathize with customer issues – putting the customer first
- Good communicator both internally and externally to the organization
- Must have a sense of urgency and ownership of customer requirements and incidents
- Must be self-motivated to achieve required task and project completion to best standard in a busy environment
- Must be competent with use of Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as Microsoft Visio
- Must hold Canadian citizenship and have a suitable background to qualify and maintain a government security clearance for Canada
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Certifications in Windows Server and VMWare ESXi
- Certifications in IP Networking / Cisco networking
- Experience in satellite communications, telecommunications and/or IP networks
- A working knowledge of Linux and Microsoft operating systems
- A working knowledge of network virtualisation technologies (VMware, Hyper-V)
- VSAT installation and fault finding experience. GVF certification
- A working knowledge of trouble ticketing systems and document repositories such as Jira/ServiceNow and Confluence /SharePoint
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do