Enabling the Connected World
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites.
Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Primary role purpose:
As a Global Technical Support Engineer, you’ll be monitoring and maintaining terminals, firmware and networks for Inmarsat’s Partners and end customers, sometimes as part of a Managed Service offering. If there are any issues relating to the ‘Service Offering’, such as configuration, upgrades, throughput, you’ll be the first person our Partners and end customers will come to. Tasks can include installing and configuring systems, diagnosing hardware/software faults and solving technical problems, either over the phone or face to face. Most importantly, as customers cannot afford to be without safety communications for more than the minimum time taken to repair or replace, your technical support is vital to the ongoing operation of vessels, aircraft or land based terminals and the lives of those relying on these services.
- Working with customers to identify and diagnose hardware device, software application, system and/or network problems and advising on the solution providing customer excellence along the way
- You will participate in troubleshooting any GX service system or hardware issue raised by our channel, NOC or other internal parties
- You will assist in GX end-to-end troubleshooting in regards to spectrum issues on the over-the-air interface and issues on the hub side, related to line cards, protocol processors and Cisco routers
- You will interface with GX development team to validate software releases and patches and ensure that any network configuration changes are implemented safely on the live network
- You will work closely with the training academy to pass knowledge on GX troubleshooting processes, network tools and useful network/system experience you gain
- Working with applications and Certified Applications Providers, you are aware of the risks that cyber activity can cause through corporate policy and procedures
- Logging and keeping records of customer issues and solutions to enable Business Improvement initiatives including analyzing call logs so you can spot common trends and underlying problems
- Updating self-help documents so customers and colleagues can try to fix problems themselves
- Working with field engineers who conduct site visits if a problem is more serious
- Testing and fixing faulty equipment
- Qualified to at least CCNA level or have equivalent knowledge and capabilities. You will be confident in your own knowledge/abilities and able to take strategic risks when needed
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in communications/network engineering
- IP data and circuit switched data/voice connectivity, ideally within the satellite communications or cellular sector
- Mobile communications technologies such as Satellite Communications, Cellular Telephony, GSM, GPRS, 3G, UMTS
- Wireless Networking technologies such as WiFi® and Bluetooth® within a mobile / satellite environment
- CCNP qualification
- Exceptionally customer-focused and love assisting other people overcome technical challenges, which drives you to identify solutions both inspirational and innovative
- Self-motivated and tenacious in ensuring that, even under pressure, tight deadlines are met
- Proactive in maintaining and growing strong technical awareness along with solid commercial knowledge. You are a fantastic communicator and you are keen to share your ideas
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels and decipher technically complex issues from a multicultural customer base
- Working knowledge of VSAT
- Good understanding of core Inmarsat Products & Services and their capabilities
- Experience in working on a shift pattern
- Knowledge of a foreign language
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and delivering on our promises to customers and each other.
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences.
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do