Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat’s Government business unit delivers against the requirements for voice, data and video services with demand for global availability and utmost reliability. Whether a military commander on operations, a government official responding to a local emergency or a head of state conducting international affairs, Inmarsat provides them with essential access to voice and broadband data, where and when they need it.
Primary role purpose:
This role sits within the G2 Global engineering team providing networking and satellite communications solution concepts, detailed solution designs, systems integration, maintenance program development and training solutions. These engineering activities support G2 engineering consultancy opportunities as well as commercial proposals, bids or tender responses in support of the sales teams within G2.
The G2 Solutions Architect is a self-sufficient and self-motivated engineering professional with extensive satellite solutions design experience who is expected to oversee all requirements, design reviews and dependencies of tasks allocated to them.
The G2 Solutions Architect is required to develop solutions to meet specific G2 customer requirements utilising either existing or newly developed hardware, product configurations and / or services, and must collaborate with functional teams outside of G2 as needed to bring new hardware and services into operation.
The G2 Solutions Architect is required to develop written engineering content for inclusion into commercial RFI and RFT responses, commercial proposals or quotations.
Solutions Architects must also be prepared to provide documentation, technical guidance, instruction and mentoring of less experienced engineering staff within the G2 engineering team.
- Act as a technical interface to the presales and sales team
- Provision of satellite solution designs and satellite systems integration expertise to clients in support of G2 sales teams and the G2 VAR / DP.
- Review all inputs from suppliers to support the development of an end to end solution.
- Provide timely and insightful technical input into the preparation of tender and quotation responses.
- Supply engineering level technical support to the G2 VAR and DP operations.
- Specification, documentation and implementation of hardware solutions for mobile and fixed satellite services.
- Development of configuration scripting for terminal hardware as part of satellite-based communications solutions.
- Specification, documentation and implementation of hardware solutions for IP networking over satellite.
- Preparation and delivery of technical training and assessment to internal and external parties including demonstrations and presentations.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Must hold a relevant engineering degree, with demonstrable experience in the communications industry.
- Must be able to design and develop solutions to meet our customer user cases and produce design documentation
- Track record of creating detailed technical proposals
- Understanding of Satellite communications architecture (e.g., ground segment and Terminals)
- Strong understanding of RF networks and technologies
- Knowledge of Microsoft and Linux based operating system installation and configuration.
- Must be proficient in the development of maintenance documentation and support programmes for developed solutions based on OEM component documentation.
- Proven industry experience in software development lifecycle methodologies (Agile and Waterfall)
- Experience in the development and delivery of workplace and external partner technical training and assessment
- The ability to efficiently analyse communication issues being experienced by clients and devise appropriate solutions.
- Highly self-motivated and possesses the ability to motivate their team members to apply best practices and strive for continual improvement.
- Proven experience in presenting and demonstrating advanced satellite communication solutions to customers and requirements capture
- Technical lead and project management on tactical projects
- Strong customer service skills – working with end users as well as distribution partners
- Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficient in the engineering of satellite link budgets.
- Experience in applications programming, scripting technologies (eg. LUA, PHP, SOAP).
- Formal qualifications in Workplace Training and Assessment.
- Formal qualifications in Project Management.
- A working knowledge of network virtualisation technologies (VMware, Hyper-V).
- A knowledge of network management and monitoring
- An understanding of costing and market pricing principles.
- iDirect modem experience
- CCNA (preferred) or GVF (SATCOM) course skills
- Experience in government RFI/RFQ responses
- This role requires travel, both domestically and internationally. The staff-member in this role will be required, on an irregular basis and provided reasonable notice, to travel sometimes for periods exceeding 7 days, and if required to travel on weekends to meet on-site weekday commitments.
- Must be committed to on-going personal development.
- The post-holder must have and maintain a Current drivers’ license for the employed location.
- Must have citizenship and a suitable background to qualify and maintain a government security clearance for the country of location.
- Must comply with Health & Safety regulations as outlined in the Health & Safety at Work Employee Handbook and as dictated by local legislation
- Commit to attending all mandatory Health & Safety training and ensure you are clear on Health & Safety standards at all times. Training will be appropriate to the tasks you carry out but will include: working at heights, risk assessment, electromagnetic radiation safety, electrical safety awareness and manual handling.
- Promptly report any work-related incidents, following the corporate procedure.
- Be aware environmental impact of the role and corporate social responsibility (CSR)
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Customer – Providing a unique value to our customers
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do