A call home from the middle of the ocean, a lifeline when disaster strikes, a safely routed flight, a mission-critical ops report. Our world-leading satellite communication networks touch every aspect of life. Inmarsat has led the way in global mobile satellite communications for over 40 years. We solve the toughest connectivity challenges of our customers, anywhere in the world. Working with our global network of partners, we have all your satellite communication needs covered – today and far into the future.
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat’s Government business unit delivers against the requirements for voice, data and video services with demand for global availability and utmost reliability. Whether a military commander on operations, a government official responding to a local emergency or a head of state conducting international affairs, Inmarsat provides them with essential access to voice and broadband data, where and when they need it.
This is a 12-month fixed term contract role based in Sydney, with potential extension or transition to permanent role.
Primary Role Purpose:
The Senior Solutions Engineering Manager is a professional engineering leadership role within the Global Government (G2) Strategic Programs team, responsible for the overall design and development of future military & commercial satellite communications (SATCOM) platforms. The incumbent will provide overall technical leadership and responsibility for the designated Inmarsat Scope of Work (SOW) for a major ADF bid.
The Senior Solutions Engineering Manager is a self-sufficient and motivated engineering professional with extensive defence / SATCOM solutions design experience who is expected to oversee all requirements and dependencies of the bid SOW.
As the bid technical leader, the Senior Solutions Engineering Manager will be the primary technical interface to our prime contractor partner and must collaborate with Inmarsat functional teams outside of G2 (many overseas) as needed to deliver the complete technical solution for the bid.
The Senior Solutions Engineering Manager is required to lead the technical team and personally develop written engineering content for inclusion in the ADF bid and other commercial and strategic RFI / RFT responses, proposals or quotations.
- Leadership and delivery of complex solution architecture for G2 strategic programmes and bids
- Oversee the development of a complete suite of technical documentation as required for the ADF bid and to support programme execution
- Primary technical interface to our Prime Contractor Partner, other consortium partners and other internal Inmarsat teams to ensure all bid technical deliverables are completed in line with the bid schedule.
- Work closely with Solution Architects and provide guidance and leadership to third party subcontractors.
- Working with Customer and Supplier technical representatives and creating optimum ways of working to maximise productivity and cost savings
- Lead / chair technical meetings and design reviews with Prime Partner technical representatives
- Facilitating planning, tracking and scheduling of development related deliverables.
- Implementing structured testing strategies commensurate with the planned technology readiness level of the final bid solution.
- Provision of training and technical presentations
Dimensions (Highlight key dimensions of the role – eg budgets for revenue, cost, people, # customers etc)
- Bid Team Size – 5-10 people
- Allocated Management Budget – up to $3M (bid phase), eventual contract value $250M+
- Primary Customers – Australian Defence Force
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Must hold and maintain Australian citizenship and have a suitable background to qualify and maintain an NV1 level clearance.
- Must have a current Australian drivers’ license and passport.
- Must hold a relevant engineering degree, or equivalent, with experience in all aspects of satellite systems engineering, including Space, Control, Ground and Terminal segments
- Strong track record in leading solution development and complex systems engineering and design programs
- At least 5-10 years Defence communications or SATCOM program experience in Australian or 5-Eyes programs
- Experience in IT, particularly as it applies to satellite communications and networking
- Proficient in the development of technical documentation, including operations, maintenance and logistics docs
- Experience leading on complex systems development projects
- Experienced in security solutions for Government applications IT security standards such as ISO27001
- Competent with use of Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as Microsoft Visio
- Mandatory skills:
- Technical design and architecture of all aspects of satellite systems (Space, Control, Ground and Terminal segments) and how they interact with each other.
- Security architecture and design
- Excellent verbal and written communications, and presentation skills
- Technical team leading
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in designing and developing against eTOM business process framework
- Knowledge and experience of military and commercial SATCOMs industry
- Desirable skills:
- Waterfall and Agile development practices
- Knowledge of communications networks, ideally satellite communications
- Communications security
- Network Operation Centre solutions (Business Support Systems, Operational Support Systems)
- Integration/system testing
You must be eligible to work in the location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organization.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do