An exciting and dynamic international working environment awaits you!
Caring about space experts like you for more than 35 years. Matchmaking the best candidates for engineering, scientific and administrative positions at our customers. Investing in you to support the development of the European space industry. This is HE Space. We are currently looking for an Instrument Operations Scientist to support our customer in the Netherlands.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
As part of ESA’s Science Operations Centre (SOC), you will have the following responsibilities:
- Support to payload calibration activities including analysis of data from on-ground test activities;
- Support to instrument operations preparations including Performance Verification phase plan preparation and instrument operations modelling for the SOC commanding system;
- SOC operations preparation including the creation and validation of SOC operational procedures for downlink operations (routine telemetry processing, quick look and trend analysis) and uplink operations (generation of commanding requests);
- Participation in System Operational Validation Tests and other on-ground test campaigns;
- Testing and validation of new deliveries of SOC software, including regression testing.
Skills & Experience
You will have the following qualifications and relevant experience:
- Master’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering, in Astronomy or equivalent in a relevant discipline;
- Calibration and data analysis for CCD and near-infrared instrumentation;
- Science and payload operations for space missions;
- Handling common astronomical file formats e.g. FITS;
- A background in astronomy and experience with Python applications with good broad knowledge of Python is beneficial;
- Fluency in English is mandatory; knowledge of another European language is an advantage.
This job is located in Madrid. We welcome applicants who are available from November 2019 (or as soon as possible thereafter).