Virgin Galactic is on track to become the world’s first privately funded commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users.
As a member of the Virgin Galactic Communications team, the Internal Communications Manager will be responsible for developing company messages and effective internal campaigns that align with the company’s brand strategy and key business priorities, as well as those of our sister manufacturing organization, The Spaceship Company (TSC). You will deliver these via a range of channels to inform and engage teammates in both Mojave, CA and Las Cruces, New Mexico. You will work closely with the Commercial Team, based in the London office, on strategic and brand related projects, and partner with the People Team on teammate initiatives, hiring priorities, on-boarding and other teammate engagement.
This role will be located in Las Cruces, New Mexico.
Strategic Communications & Stakeholder Management
- Work closely with the head of communications to develop and deliver Virgin Galactic’s internal. communications strategy, including the establishment of a Purpose and Values linked approach
- Partner with heads of business to develop effective internal communications strategies for their needs
- Be a trusted adviser on internal communications for senior management
- Partner with the People Team (HR) on a range of communications programmes/initiatives including teammate newsletters and teammate all hands meetings, teammate events, asset management such as video material for internal purposes, and local office announcements to support overall objectives
- Support on change management and business transformation projects – in particular the cultural work required for operations in New Mexico
- Ensure there is a consistent approach in terms of tone of voice throughout all communications that aligns to the overall communications strategic objectives
- Be sufficiently appraised of project history, status and key messaging, to provide on-the-ground support for press tours/events
Creative Content & Events
- Produce copy for leadership communications and work with leadership to create tailored presentations for teammate events
- Translate ideas into briefs for our in-house creative team, managing the relationship with them throughout the delivery process
- Transform intranet content, process and strategy – working with core teams such as IT, People Team, and the creative studio to maintain and publish engaging content
- Plan, edit and write accurate, clear and engaging content for a variety of internal communications channels such as email, management bulletins, intranet, video etc.
What you bring
- 4-5 years’ experience in Internal Communications, either in-house or agency
- Degree in related field
- Solid experience in creating and executing internal communication strategies and supporting executive communications
- Strong strategic thinking, curious, analytical and organisational skill
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Excellent writing skills – must be able to communicate clearly, with creative flair and grammatical accuracy, in order to formulate clear viewpoints on complicated issues
- Strong MS office skills, some website/intranet experience
- Self-starting energy and initiative to get involved with projects across the HR team. Team working and collaborative skills are essential
The Virgin Galactic organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation but expects creativity, delivery and results. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door,” be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility, humanity and humor. You must work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You must also communicate clearly and be both confident and persuasive. It is essential that you maintain the highest level of integrity and understand the requirements for complete confidentiality. As a part of a small but high performing team, you will need to be a strong team player, working intelligently, confidently and collaboratively with other areas in the company as you lead the internal communications center of excellence.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.