Space Applications Services is a company based in the Brussels area (BE) that provides products and services for the space sector in many areas from Avionics, Robotics, Human Exploration, Science and Earth Observation.
Internships are available at the Future Projects and Exploration Team (Systems Department). The Team is responsible for the study, design, prototyping, and testing of enabling technologies for commercially-enabled future missions.
The candidate will mainly report to Future Projects and Exploration Team Lead.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The Team is seeking top talent currently enrolled in University studies, to join our Team as an Intern, in our efforts to contribute to Europe’s objective of the sustainable return to the Moon, and to the expansion of humankind into the Solar System.
Duties for internships typically include support to the Team with a selection of the following:
- Design and development of electro-/mechanical and chemical processing systems for exploration and In-Situ Resource Utilisation (ISRU)
- System and subsystem trade-off, designing, prototyping, prototype de-bugging, functional verification and optimisation
- Design and breadboarding of prototypes in the context of the ALCHEMIST studies, part of the ESA ISRU Demonstration Mission
- Research, design, and developing novel systems for the deployment of low-cost payloads by Rovers at the Lunar surface in the context of the Lunar Volatiles Mobile Instrumentation project (LUVMI)
- Spacecraft systems engineering tasks and conduction of Concurrent Design sessions
Main Relevant Qualifications and Experience
Depending on the Thesis/Internship’s scope of work, a selection of the following is desirable:
- Enrollment in Engineering (Mechanical, Aerospace, Electrical, Chemical or Process)
- Hands-on experience in electrical, mechanical and/or electromechanical prototyping (university projects, professional or DIY)
- Academic or internship-level knowledge of/experience with mechanical and thermal design
- Programming languages (e.g. C++, Python, Matlab…), Labview; embedded electronics for prototyping (e.g. Arduino), real-time simulation would be considered as asset (e.g. Unity)
The successful intern will have the following skills:
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Ability to:
- Adhere to strict standards of confidentiality
- Synthesise, summarise and draw conclusions
- Work in distributed international teams
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English.
What Do We Offer?
- An experience in a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- Under certain conditions, a monthly lump sum allowance
- A professional, pleasant atmosphere with motivated and passionate Staff, where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged.
We are looking for someone to be available for a 6 months’ internship.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.
Please send your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English)