The world's only truly global mobile satellite communications company.
Iridium is the only truly global voice and data satellite communications network that connects people, organizations, assets, government, and relief agencies with “on-the-move” availability. Together with its ecosystem of partners, Iridium delivers essential, reliable communications with an easy-to-integrate platform and service for improved efficiency. With more than 20 years of experience, Iridium delivers the next-generation of connectivity, Iridium CertusSM – the most versatile global broadband service that satisfies the critical need to send and receive communications when traveling by land, sea, or air.
Position Summary, Job Requirements & Responsibilities
As the Senior Technical Project Manager, you and your team are responsible for managing multiple technical activities/projects, including those with cross-functional teams. These projects are critical to the future of the Iridium business, our value-added partners, and our end customers, and often are in support of large, complex, and high-profile technology programs focused on end-to-end system solutions, new product development, or network elements within the Iridium architecture. This position operates in a fast-paced environment and must provide clear leadership, coordination, technical oversight, and management of the project to deliver successful solutions and navigate interdependencies in a matrixed environment. The person successful in this role needs to have a breadth of knowledge of technical project management fundamentals (e.g. business case, risk management, schedule management, and negotiation).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage multiple activities and projects
- Manage the coordination and delivery of multiple or complex technical assignments designed with end goals in mind, including managing shifting priorities
- Ensure that projects meet financial performance targets as established in project pipeline budgets and Estimates to Complete
- Ensure that projects deliver quality results, activities are well-designed, and funds are expended to meet overall project objectives, contract deliverables, and indicator targets
- Serve as a sounding board on strategic project decisions and provides thought leadership in program design and delivery
- Partner with stakeholders to understand their technical and business needs to manage the requirements and planning basis in a methodical and organized manner, including the use of configuration management practices (CM)
- Coach and develop a project team and create a team dynamic, including serving as a role model for completing regular check-ins, discussing development, and documenting feedback
- Deliver constructive, meaningful feedback and proactively offer guidance and knowledge-sharing with technical colleagues/team members
- Demonstrated ability to understand how complex issues are affecting project operations and identify and design the formation of innovative solutions from concept through to completion
- Comfortably present complex results with limited preparation and develop the ability to speak persuasively to those within the team
- Manage issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of complex factors
- Utilize critical thinking skills to vet whether creative solutions generated are viable
- Participate in projects beyond the immediate team
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to build relationships with senior leadership
- Recognize and adapt to different communication styles based on stakeholder style and preferences
Experience & Education Requirements / EEO
- Bachelor’s degree required; Degree in engineering, mathematics, or science preferred
- 10+ years related program/project management experience, preferably in a large, global organization
- 8+ years experience in the management of complex technical projects, preferably direct experience in telecommunications, ground networks, electronic product development/manufacturing, or satellites
- Strong knowledge of project management methodologies
- Experience collaborating globally across timelines and cultures
- Strong familiarity with tools and software applications that support project management and project portfolio management
- Project Management Accreditation (APMP, PMI or equivalent) a plus
Iridium is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or status as a protected veteran. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability and other protected categories.