Expand our planet. Expand our future.
ispace Japan is seeking a highly motivated and talented Systems Engineer to join its team developing lunar orbiters, landers and rovers. The ideal candidate will have broad experience in the system engineering process of spacecraft and good technical knowledge of multiple spacecraft subsystems. This is a unique opportunity to join a truly fascinating project, the first stage of ispace’s plans to perform resource prospecting on the moon. In this position, you will assigned to one or more of ispace’s projects, and join a small, international team of engineers working towards the detailed design and qualification of our first missions.
Candidates with demonstrated “hands-on” experience in some engineering domains and interdisciplinary experience are preferred. Teamwork is valued, and depending on the strengths of each member of the systems engineering team, the responsibilities listed below will be assigned accordingly, and extended into various domains such as GNC, operations, and integration.
- Perform system level trade-offs, co-ordinating inputs from various disciplines within the team, to evaluate any proposed changes of the design baseline.
- Contribute to requirements management ensuring all requirements are closed-out at the planned project landmarks
- Take ownership of the spacecraft mass budget, propellant budget, and power budget ensuring appropriate application of margins and continually identifying opportunities to save mass and power, and to achieve sufficient loading of propellant.
- Work on hands-on system design and verification task (e.g. CAD model creation/review/maintanace, system level close loop test script creation & execution, etc)
- Ensure internal interfaces between different subsystems are maintained
- Support AIT and subsystem leads in defining test plans and procedures which will successfully verify the spacecraft design.
- Lead efforts to resolve non-compliances identified during spacecraft AIT
- Bachelor or Masters degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience of engineering within the space industry, ideally during the development phase, at spacecraft system level
- Or various subsystems: Structure, Thermal, Avionics, GNC, Propulsion, Communications, Software
- Deep knowledge of at least one subsystem domain such as structure, thermal, power, communication (RF), control, or electronics
- Experience in defining requirements for spacecraft systems
- Experience in spacecraft system level testing
- Hands-on skill of spacecraft design and/or verfication (e.g. CAD, FEM analysis, thermal simulation, Matlab/Simulink modeling, C or python coding)
- Self-motivated and comfortable making key decisions within a fast-paced environment
- Excellent presentation skills, both verbally and written. Enthusiastic attitude and team player
- Working level in English
- 5+ years of experience of systems engineering within the space industry
- Requirements management and traceability of requirements until verification
- Experience performing FMECA, reliability analysis, and/or hazard analysis
- Working level in Japanese
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace