ispace Europe is seeking a highly motivated and talented Lead Systems Engineer to join the team and develop tomorrow’s lunar exploration technologies. The vision of ispace is to expand and sustain humanity’s presence in space by developing a lunar economy built on the resources available on the Moon. ispace Europe is the company’s regional office located in Luxembourg, in the heart of Europe. We are creating the first lunar resource exploration service by developing ispace’s next generation rover that will prospect for lunar water and other resources. We are a small team, motivated by the challenges of the Lunar Frontier, and determined to achieve the company’s vision.
The Lead Systems Engineer will be responsible for driving the end-to-end technical definition, development, integration, and operations of ispace Europe’s rover missions. The position requires a strong candidate exhibiting and practicing all the qualities expected of a skilled systems engineer: a cross-functional mindset, intellectual curiosity, always looking for gaps and means to bridge them, appreciation for process, proper paranoia, and an understanding of the system two levels up and two levels down. The candidate must be driven, continuously self-improving, and proud of her/his work.
- Drive the systems engineering process from concept through implementation & test
- Coordinate configuration design studies for the entire rover system in collaboration with the engineering teams in ispace Europe and ispace Inc.
- Coordinate interfaces with payload partners and customers
- Support supplier selection, contracting, and monitoring process with technical expertise
- Write complex specifications and interface control documents
- Support component make vs buy decisions, selection, and procurement
- Understand and implement the PA/QA processes
- Identify risks and propose mitigations
- Work with the business development team to develop outstanding proposals
- Establish value-added processes and tools that enable our start-up to continue to grow efficiently
- Become conversant with lunar geology, the design of planetary science instruments, ISRU processes, and space policy on space resources
- Speak up, identify risks and issues, define and manage mitigation plans
- Travel occasionally to Japan and to vendor and instrument provider locations
- Hold BS with 7+ years of relevant experience or MS with 5+ years of relevant experience in an engineering field relevant to this position
- Must be knowledgeable in processes for spacecraft systems, subsystems and payload design, and assembly & test
- Possess practical experience in one or more of the following: avionics or payload electronics, telecommunications, electrical power systems, or integration and testing of aerospace systems
- Proven record in developing operations concepts, processes, and procedures, and in-depth knowledge in planning and execution of spacecraft and instrument systems
- Must able to quickly develop subject matter expertise in a specific subject
- Exhibit sound judgment and deep understanding of system-level impact of design choices
- Be highly organized and capable of planning and executing complex technical work with little oversight
- Thrive in multi-disciplinary environment in close cooperation with engineering and business teams
- Must have excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Show initiative, leadership, and positive can-do attitude
- Be comfortable with change and fast-paced environment
- Has experience with subcontract management
- Has experience with development of rapid prototypes, test, troubleshoot, repeat
- Has experience bidding and winning agency tenders
Should you be interested in this position, please submit your resume and cover letter. For additional job opportunities at ispace Europe, please check our Careers Page available at https://ispace-inc.com/careers/.