For our customer ESO in the Munich area, Germany, we are looking for IT Engineers / System Engineers with wide technical knowledge on the design and operation of IT core services.
ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities for astronomy, in order to enable important scientific discoveries. These are exciting times for astronomy: technology now allows us to study objects at the far edge of the Universe and to detect evidence for planets around other stars.
The activities will be performed in a technically challenge environment and providing support to a wide range of technologies, from relatively old infrastructure components to cutting edge technologies.
Your tasks will typically include but are not limited to:
- Participate on 1st and 2nd line support teams for GNU/Linux related activities.
- Root cause analysis and incident management for GNU/Linux related incidents.
- Deploy, test, maintain and operate ~450 production GNU/Linux servers, ~400 development GNU/Linux servers, and ~350 clients using the following services (Servers and clients are mostly running RedHat, CentOS. 8 Solaris, and 5 HP-UX servers.)
- Maintain an infrastructure of web application servers and services (apache, nginx, tomcat, Jira, confluence, Jenkins, KIX, cassandra, etc)
- Maintain the VMware infrastructure
- Monitoring systems (munin, syslog, ganglia, etc)
- DNS, NAS, SAN Infrastructure, syslog, ganglia
- Participate in security audits and provide active feedback to increase the security levels
- Participate on On-Call duty rotation scheme outside the normal support hours
- Update and create Technical Documentation
In the performance of the activities you shall apply the relevant change control and maintenance procedures.
This is a full time position, located at ESO HQ in Garching (near München), Germany.
Qualifications & Competencies
Applicants shall have a university degree in computer science (or equivalent).
You should have 5 years of proven extensive knowledge and work knowledge with Linux servers and clients.
Proven knowledge and at least 3 years hands-on experience with the following is mandatory:
- GNU\Linux administration using different distributions
- NAS and SAN
- 3rd party support interface management (Ticket creation and follow up)
- Shell scripting
- Experience with the monitoring tools based on Nagios
- Basic IT System design skills
- Definition, implementation, testing and documentation of end-to-end system changes
- Preparation of technical documentation and user manuals in English in a complete and clear manner
- Good communication skills
- Customer oriented, used to communicate directly with technical end users
- Experience in the installation, administration and troubleshooting on some of the following shall be considered as an advantage:
- Knowledge of Cloud Technologies (OpenStack, Docker/Kubernetes, orchestration via Morpheus, VMware NSX, Openshift, etc)
- Knowledge of Automation tools (ansible, pupet, salt, etc)
- High availability environments (Business critical services, critical infrastructure elements, Load balancers, etc)
- Experience with data protection systems
- The work is organized using a ticketing system therefore, previous experience on helpdesk and ticket handling is an advantage.
- ITIL Experience
Fluency in English (spoken and written) is mandatory, as English is the working language.
The variety of the tasks and the scope of the systems to be supported require a high degree of autonomy and good analytical skills together with the ability to effectively cooperate within the team.
What can Terma offer
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
- Great opportunities for training and personal development
- Challenges in advanced technical environment
- International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
- An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
- Highly competitive salary
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed please apply through the link below with an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and (ideally) a Cover Letter.
Please note that applicants must hold all appropriate documentation and permits to work in Europe.