Humans in Space
Summary of Position (Duties and Required Abilities)
In the aim of widely seeking the participation of academic researchers in creating space science
achievements as the basis of the inter-university research system, ISAS places importance to the
utilization of small flight vehicles (e.g., sounding rockets, scientific balloons and micro space probes)
and is enhancing usage of such vehicles by innovating related technology and promoting
Among the small flight vehicles, sounding rockets have realized the provision
of microgravity environment, vacuum or neutral gas and plasma coexistence environment,
exploration of the space where space and the earth’s atmosphere meet, and launch of micro space
In the future, it is required to maximize the frequency and mobility of sounding rocket experiments,
and to develop human resources who can play an active role in space-related research and
development. ISAS is looking for a person who can lead the creation of scientific results through
sounding rocket experiments and also contribute to human resource development.
The Professor (academic staff) being recruited in this announcement is expected to deepen his/her
own academic research through sounding rocket experiments and to bring about further
breakthroughs in science and technology through the experimental projects, and to obtain flight
opportunities not only in Japan but also overseas, and to form a network with researchers around
the world who use sounding rockets. Also, he/she shall play a role to lead the development of human
resources who can realize larger scale space missions in the future. In addition, he/she is expected
to participate in future space science projects conducted by ISAS and actively contribute from the
standpoint of their own specialized field.
To carry out the above duties, the professor must meet at least the following conditions.
- Having the experience to participate in sounding rocket experiments by playing a central role
and being well recognized his/her achievements both domestically and internationally.
- Having the willingness to proactively contribute to research and development in cooperation
with universities and companies for the purpose of creating and maximizing results of sounding
rocket experiments, and to develop human resources related to space missions.
- Having the ability to cooperate with international cooperation partners and demonstrate
leadership in international space science missions.
- Having the ability to educate and instruct graduate students.
ISAS/JAXA functions as a hub for the space science activities in Japan. While ISAS is a science
institute of Japanese space agency JAXA, it is also embedded in the collaboration network among
Flight projects are the keys to promoting space science. In the network, ISAS,
teaming up with other JAXA members as well as academic members outside JAXA, plays the
special role of materializing flight projects. Thus, ISAS members are expected to play vital roles in
running the projects.
We are looking for a highly motivated staff who can carry out his/her academic research in a project oriented style, in collaboration with university researchers under the inter-university framework.
Active participation to various JAXA projects and R&Ds to demonstrate his/her academic expertise
is also expected. Human resource development for future space development and utilization is
anticipated as natural outcome of the above-mentioned activities.
Terms and Conditions
- Salary will be determined under the provision of JAXA wage rules and regulations, taking into
account ability and experience.
- Working days: Monday – Friday, except Japanese national holidays, year-end and New-Year
holidays, annual vacation, WLB(Work Life Balance) annual leave, celebration or condolence leave,
maternity leave, child-care leave, care leave, nursing leave, volunteer activities, etc.
- Office hours: 9:30-17:45, in principle, with a recess from 12:15 to 13:00 (however, a discretionary
labor system is applied).
- Overtime work: may be required (however, a discretionary labor system is applied, and working
hours per day are regarded as 7.5 hours).
- Duty location: JAXA Sagamihara campus (ISAS), Kanagawa, Japan.
- Employment Status: Full-time/Retirement age is 63.
- Lodgings: lodgings suitable for a family or a single occupant may be provided under the provision
of JAXA in consideration of the nature of the work. (Lodging term is limited to 7 years.)
Alternatively, an allowance for lodging shall be paid.
- Social insurances (health insurance, pension plan, etc.) will be provided in full.
- PhD degree is required.
Commencement of Assignment
At the earliest possible date after selection. Some coordination might be needed according to JAXA’s
- Curriculum vitae
- Research career
- Summary of previous research
- List of research achievements
- Outline of future research plan (Including contribution to projects and ambitions for educational
- List of awarded research funds through competition (type of funds, amount, principal investigator
- Contact information of two referees (names, affiliation, telephone numbers, and e- mail addresses
for a direct inquiry from JAXA).
- Photocopies of five major research papers published in refereed academic journals
* If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (the EU zone), you are required to submit the
following document as well.
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR (Form NO. 1)