Humans in Space
Summary of Position (Duties and Required Abilities)
The Institute of Space and Astronautical Science (ISAS) is promoting the realization of more
flexible access to space by conducting research and development of space vehicles such as launch
rockets, artificial satellites, planetary exploration spacecrafts, and ground systems, as well as
conducting space science projects that integrate science and engineering under inter-university
research cooperation. To realize those goals, the Department of Space Flight Systems conducts
R&Ds on chemical propulsion for new space transportation and exploration. Because there are
various types of chemical propulsion systems, including solid / liquid rockets, hybrid rockets, air
breathers, and spacecraft thrusters, ISAS has been promoted research on propellant technologies
such as solid propellant, low-toxicity propellant, and hydrogen fuel. In recent years, ISAS receives
increasing expectations from energy industry for various technologies related to hydrogen energy
engineering (storage, transportation, and utilization of hydrogen fuel). By coupling ISAS’s hydrogen
technology with safety engineering for the public in the energy industry, it is possible to realize
further innovation in the space transportation system represented by reusable rockets while
meeting the needs of the industry. So, it is highly desired to develop new research field that
combines the conventional space propulsion engineering and the safety engineering derived from
The professor recruited this time, therefore, shall lead cross-disciplinary research on chemical
propulsion including hydrogen fuel and safety engineering, and actively participate and contribute
to ongoing and planned space science missions of ISAS/JAXA by adapting his/her expertise on
We are looking for a highly motivated staff who can carry out his/her academic research in a project oriented style, in collaboration with university researchers under the inter-university framework.
Active participation to various JAXA projects and R&Ds to demonstrate his/her academic expertise
is also expected. Human resource development for future space development and utilization is
anticipated as natural outcome of the above-mentioned activities. In addition, we assume that the
staff can promote industry-academia joint R&Ds in collaboration with related companies.
To carry out the above duties, the professor must meet at least the following conditions.
- Having research experience on chemical propulsion engineering for the space transportation
system with hydrogen propellant and having an excellent track record of being evaluated in
Japan and overseas.
- Having strong motivation to develop a new research field that combine hydrogen energy
engineering and safety engineering in cooperation with other universities and companies.
- Demonstrating leadership and having the knowledge and ability to collaborate with related
subsystems through the technical development of chemical propulsion systems in various
- Having the ability to cooperate with international cooperation partners and demonstrate
leadership in international space science missions.
- Having the ability to educate and instruct graduate students.
Terms and Conditions
- Salary will be determined under the provision of JAXA wage rules and regulations, taking into
account ability and experience.
- Working days: Monday – Friday, except Japanese national holidays, year-end and New-Year
holidays, annual vacation, WLB(Work Life Balance) annual leave, celebration or condolence leave,
maternity leave, child-care leave, care leave, nursing leave, volunteer activities, etc
- Office hours: 9:30-17:45, in principle, with a recess from 12:15 to 13:00 (however, a discretionary
labor system is applied).
- Overtime work: may be required (however, a discretionary labor system is applied, and working
hours per day are regarded as 7.5 hours).
- Duty location: JAXA Sagamihara campus (ISAS), Kanagawa, Japan.
- Employment Status: Full-time/Retirement age is 63.
- Lodgings: lodgings suitable for a family or a single occupant may be provided under the provision
of JAXA in consideration of the nature of the work. (Lodging term is limited to 7 years.)
Alternatively, an allowance for lodging shall be paid.
- Social insurances (health insurance, pension plan, etc.) will be provided in full.
PhD degree is required.
Commencement of Assignment
At the earliest possible date after selection. Some coordination might be needed according to JAXA’s
- Curriculum vitae
- Research career
- Summary of previous research
- List of research achievements
- Outline of future research plan (Including contribution to projects and ambitions for educational
- List of awarded research funds through competition (type of funds, amount, principal investigator
- Contact information of two referees (names, affiliation, telephone numbers, and e- mail addresses
for a direct inquiry from JAXA).
- Photocopies of major research papers (up to 5) published in refereed academic journals
* If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (the EU zone), you are required to submit the
following document as well.
- Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR (Form NO.1)