Discover what you're made of
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
The Radar and Science Engineering Section in the Communications, Tracking, and Radar Division conducts research, development, and flight missions in the field of airborne and spaceborne remote sensing radar for NASA and other government agencies. This section specializes in systems and techniques related to synthetic aperture radar (SAR) imaging, radar interferometry, altimetry, Earth and planetary subsurface sounders, scatterometry, and cloud and precipitation radars.
The section is also a leader in the area of planetary landing radars. Our radar program focusses on Earth and planetary science missions, with emphasis on first-of-a-kind radar systems and cutting-edge technology.
- We invite you to join the Radar Science and Engineering Section (334). You will report to the Radar Section Management Team and the Group Supervisor of the Radar Digital Systems Group.
- We are seeking an FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) Engineer III, responsible for the design and implementation of digital subsystems part of spaceborne and airborne Radar Systems and their EGSE. In this role you will be an essential team member partnering with a group of firmware, hardware, and software engineers in the development of technology maturation projects as well as implementation of spaceborne and airborne Earth Science and Planetary exploration missions that include Radar systems developed at JPL.
The following is a non-comprehensive list of Projects that are currently being staffed as examples of specific tasks you may be asked to contribute to:
- The VERITAS Synthetic Aperture Radar, the first ever spaceborne Single Pass Interferometer with On Board Interferometric Processing, and the first ever Interferometric SAR sent to another planet; currently in early implementation phase.
- The INCUS Precipitation Radars, direct successors of RainCube, the first ever radar in a 6U CubeSat which also demonstrated the first ever application of Onboard Pulse Compression processing for a spaceborne weather radar. The INCUS Radars will be the first ever formation of identical radars to be sent in Low Earth Orbit to observe the evolution of storms; currently in formulation phase.
- The UAVSAR Program, an established airborne radar program routinely deployed for both a variety of science investigations as well as to assist in natural disaster operational assessment and relief programs.
What You Will Do:
- Collaborate with firmware, software, and system engineers to design and implement highly complex signal processing applications through all phases of a project, from design, implementation, test, and deployment.
- Maintain existing firmware and software for radar digital subsystems.
- Provide engineering support to Radar Operations. Support spacecraft mission critical events and interface compatibility testing; monitor operational subsystem performance; assist Radar Operations with downlink performance issues and participate in subsystem troubleshooting.
- Evaluate new or changed system requirements.
- Develop and document subsystem requirements, design, and test procedures.
- Review/update/maintain hardware and software interface agreements.
- Work with team to prepare and present materials at task design reviews and delivery reviews.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related disciplines with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; or a Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 2 years of related experience.
- Strong knowledge and background in digital signal processing, modulation and demodulation schemes, telemetry encoding and decoding techniques.
- Experience developing firmware and software for signal processing and telecom applications.
- Analytical and debugging skills.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience working closely with a team of software, firmware, and test engineers.
- Experience with Xilinx FPGA design and verification tools.
- Experience with embedded software, C/C++, Python.
- Experience with ethernet and related networking protocols, UDP, TCP/IP, etc.
- Experience using git and github to manage a code base during development.
- Knowledge and experience with MATLAB and Simulink simulations.
- Experience in leading the full lifecycle of ground system deployment from requirement definition, design, implementation, test, delivery, operations and maintenance.
- Strong communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to manage projects on schedule and within allocated resources.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including schedule and budget management.
- Ability to work on multiple projects in parallel.
- Experience in leading teams.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace