MDA is currently seeking a Junior Engineers to support the Software Engineering Department in a variety of tasks which include software development and testing for Space/Medical/Industrial Robotic arms and GUI development for Command and Control Workstations.
The MDA facility in Brampton, Ontario has supported human spaceflight for the past 30+ years through the design and operational support of space robotics systems such as Canadarm on the Space Shuttle, and Canadarm2 and Dextre on the International Space Station. In addition, this site develops rover technology for Mars missions, space-borne sensors for planetary exploration missions, as well as a multitude of terrestrial spin-offs for medical robotics and nuclear power plant operations. MDA is currently exploring future opportunities in areas such as AI-based robotics for Lunar Gateway (the next international space station, which will orbit the moon), on-orbit satellite servicing, and next-generation space missions.
The Junior Engineer will assist with research and development of future space vision systems, robotics systems, LIDARs and autonomous control.
The successful applicant should have the following skills:
- Strong C++/C, Ada and Java skills.
- Working knowledge of Matlab/Simulink
- Real Time embedded systems such as Tornado II and VxWorks OS, RTOS
- Various communication interfaces such as TCP/IP, PCI, 1553, I2C, RS232, RS422, EtherCat, CANOpen and Analog/Digital interfaces
- Target Hardware including single board computers such as PPC750, 8051 based micro controllers, Arm and x86 processors
- GUI development using .NET, NetBeans/Java
- Scripting languages such as LUA, Python or Perl
- Development environments in either Windows or Unix
- Experience with UR Robotic Arms
- Strong analytical, problem solving, communication and organization skills
- Strong human relations skills
- Dedication to meet project deadlines
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic, and a positive thinker
Interested candidates should have a degree in Software / Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related discipline. Strong ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as a member of a team is vital.
Excellent verbal, written communication skills are essential to this position. All candidates must be able to obtain CGP and ITAR clearance.
MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity in the workplace.
With respects to Accessibilities for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is proud to provide accommodation(s) during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodations, please feel free to notify us.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.