D-Orbit is a market-leading New Space company specializing in space logistics, transportation services, and infrastructure.
D-Orbit is a market leader in the space logistics and transportation services industry with a track record of space-proven technologies and successful missions. Committed to helping companies profitably and sustainably maximize the opportunities to do business in space today and into the future, the company has developed proprietary space logistics technology and transportation solutions that will accelerate the growth and development of a trillion-dollar space economy, including human expansion into space.
ION Satellite Carrier, the company’s core technology, is a space vehicle that can transport satellites in orbit and release them individually into distinct orbital slots; ION can also accommodate multiple third-party payloads like innovative technologies developed by startups, experiments from research entities, and instruments from traditional space companies requiring a test in orbit.
D-Orbit has offices in Italy, Portugal, UK, and the US; its commitment to pursuing business models that are profitable, friendly for the environment, and socially beneficial, led to D-Orbit becoming the first certified B-Corp space company in the world.
About this role
D-Orbit is hiring a system engineer to join our growing system engineering team. As integral part of the group, you will be involved in both the customization of already flight-qualified platforms, such as the ION Satellite Carrier Vehicle, and the design of new advanced missions.
You will work together with other system engineers, and provide your personal contribution to the technical development on several projects, managing customers, partners and subcontractors, defining priorities in delivering the technical solution. You will take a key role in development of processes and infrastructure in a major ESA project lead by D-Orbit. You will also interface with the procurement team for scouting of new technologies and support in the procurement process of flight parts, with the PM team for periodic reporting, planning and management, with the manufacturing team and the AIV team for the definition of the test plan, procedure, and setup.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Overall spacecraft and subsystems design;
- System and subsystems budgeting;
- Coordinate the integration of different subsystems;
- Mission/project requirements capturing & management;
- Interface with and support AIV team and related activities;
- Interface with manufacturing;
- Support to the system test plan, procedures, and setup definition;
- Authoring of Technical documents;
- Definition of system engineering process related to the satellite integration chain.
- We are interested in speaking to people with up to one year of experience working in spacecraft systems design.
- At least 1 years of working experience in systems engineering in the space industry;
- Familiarity with space operations and processes;
- Knowledge of the space missions lifecycle;
- Experience with applying System Engineering principles;
- System-level knowledge of all spacecraft subsystems;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Proactive attitude and ability to work in a team;
- Good communication skills with internal and external stakeholders;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with ESA programs.
- Knowledge of Mission analysis software (GMAT/orekit);
- Experience in the use of Matlab and Python;
- Confluence and YOGI requirements experience;
- Knowledge of Linux.
- University degree preferably in the fields of Aerospace/Space Engineering
- This role requires professional proficiency in English.