We are on a mission to build the Internet in space.
Kepler is on a Mission to bring the internet to space. Incorporated in 2015, Kepler’s guiding star is to enable the space economy through the creation of a communication network in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) that will provide connectivity services to other space missions, be they on orbit in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 15 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team! Based out of our HQ in Toronto and with an office in the UK and a newly formed office in the US we are building towards a truly global company delivering a product for the whole world.
As a Senior RF Engineer at Kepler, your primary responsibility will be leading RF subsystem development projects for our satellite communications payloads. Additionally, as a broader member of the RF and Antenna team, you will assist with overall payload and communications architecture decisions. Most importantly, as a Senior member of the team, you will be expected to coach and mentor more junior members of the team (but not directly manage).
- Act as technical lead/responsible engineer on RF development projects such as radio transceivers, active antennas and RF distribution networks within the satellite
- Bring RF development projects all the way from conception through design, manufacture, test and deployment
- Design all aspects of radio transceivers: overall architecture and frequency plan, DACs/ADCs, amplifiers, filters, mixers, switches, RF distribution networks etc.
- Collaborate in the design of digital radio components with the FPGA/RTL team
- Assist in schematic capture, layout, drawings and DFM of RF PCBs and hardware
- Support the manufacturing and procurement of RF hardware
- Design and conduct RF system performance testing both on- and off-site. This includes benchtop testing and OTA testing with antennas
- Work closely with other engineering disciplines such as mechanical and systems engineers to integrate RF systems into the overall spacecraft payload
- Coach and mentor more junior members of the teams on responsible RF development projects. Direct management is not a responsibility for this role however.
- Research and incorporate both industry best practices as well as cutting edge technology into Kepler’s RF design process
- Master’s or PhD Degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics or equivalent 10+ years experience professionally designing, building and testing RF radio transceivers with at least 1-2 years coaching/mentoring more junior team members on design projects
- Experience designing discrete amplifiers, converters, synthesizers, filters and other microwave components
- Extensive experience with RF circuit simulation tools (ADS, Microwave Office, etc.), EM full-wave simulation tools (CST, HFSS, EMPro etc.) and PCB schematic/layout tools (Altium, Cadence etc.)
- Extensive experience conducting difficult RF measurements using advanced RF test equipment: spectrum analyzers, vector network analyzers, vector signal generators
- Experience developing RF subsystems for satellite communications
- Experience with antenna design
- Experience with air interface standards, waveforms, physical layer etc. particularly for satellite communications
- Experience with scientific programming languages (Python, Matlab etc.)