Hardware Engineering Intern (Fall 2023) [4-8 months]
Kepler is on a Mission to bring the internet to space.
Kepler is on a Mission to bring the internet to space. Incorporated in 2015, Kepler’s guiding star is to enable the space economy through the creation of a communication network in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) that will provide connectivity services to other space missions, be they on orbit in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 19 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team! Based out of our HQ in Toronto and with an office in the UK and a newly formed office in the US we are building towards a truly global company delivering a product for the whole world.
We invest heavily to deliver the best products to our customers, and so we’re on the hunt for a top-tier Hardware Engineering Intern.
Your focus will be on assisting the development and testing of hardware, specifically hardware related to both our space-based communications payloads as well as ground-based assets. We are looking for exceptional candidates with the below experience along with any unique abilities that could be used to augment our hardware team.
- Design schematics and PCB layout:
- Own new designs from start to finish or iterate on existing designs based on new feature requests and lessons learnt including switch mode power supplies, high-speed design, and analog design.
- Assist with part selection and new project scoping and architecture.
- Participate in design reviews for all active designs.
- Perform functional and performance testing on individual boards or integrated sub-systems as part of prototype bring-up, including the development of test boards.
- Participate in pathfinding activities, new process planning, and design specification development.
- 2+ years in an engineering degree program.
- Significant involvement in a hardware design project (schematic and PCB) outside of class.
- Experience with one or more CAD tools (Altium, Eagle, Allegro, KiCad, Upverter, etc.)
- Comfortable in a lab environment and experience using standard tools such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, multimeters, VNAs, etc.
- Ability to troubleshoot hardware issues.
- Ability to work in a team and independently with little supervision.
- Experience in a University design team or building circuits for a personal project.
- Python scripting experience.
- Knowledge of CubeSats.
Kepler Communications Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, people who identify as LGBT and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, Kepler will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact our People & Culture team,to make your accommodation needs known and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.