The Test & Operations engineer will play a key role in enabling reliable high frequency launches from Rocket Lab’s Launch Facilities.
Working as part of the launch team, you will validate and continually improve complex systems that are critical to a successful launch. This role will put you on the front line of test & launch operations from conducting vehicle and pad checkouts through to monitoring and operating critical systems in the final seconds before lift-off.
A vital element of this role is the ability to continually incorporate improvements into the engineering design and process. You will constantly be learning and developing your engineering skills as you gain exposure to all the systems behind space launch.
This is a great opportunity to work with a dedicated, tight knit team of engineers and technicians in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
Launch Engineer – Test & Operations’ key duties:
- Integration & Test
- The development and execution of test plans & procedures to efficiently conduct component and system level testing of launch pad systems and vehicle interfaces
- The automation of pre-launch test and checkouts activities
- Supporting pre-flight integration and checkout of launch vehicles
- Design, develop and maintain test equipment
- Post-flight and test data analysis
- Develop and maintain interface control between the launch vehicle and pad systems
- Support continuous product and process improvement
- LabVIEW and PLC development for data acquisition & real-time control
- Perform system hazard analyses
- Perform failure investigations and root cause analysis
- Reporting and documentation
- Develop and optimise the flow of launch operations
- Design and maintain test & launch procedures
- Develop proficiency in operating critical launch systems including but not limited to mechanisms, fluid control, RF and power systems
- On-site launch operations support
- Contribute towards training and certification plans
- Conduct and/or execute test operations• Conduct and/or execute launch operations
- Real-time troubleshooting of launch critical systems
Skills & Experience required
- An Aerospace, mechanical, electrical, mechatronic engineering degree or equivalent
- 2+ years’ experience in engineering design, test and/or operations
- Experience with CAD systems preferably SolidWorks
- Experience with electronics & power systems
- Strong understanding of pressure, temperature and flow measurement instrumentation
- Experience designing, testing and operating fluid systems including cryogenics, high-pressure gases and/or other high energy systems
- Demonstrated familiarity with data acquisition systems and real-time control
- Ability to read, understand and follow detailed schematics, drawings and instructions
- Self-driven, motivated and contagiously positive
- Strong communications skills
- Willingness to travel up to 40% of the time to Rocket Lab’s Launch facilities
- Careful work ethic with an eye for detail
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines
- Ability to work at heights and in confined spaces
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality.