At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination.
Virgin Orbit is seeking an experienced Launch Technician with familiarity in gas and fluids systems, who can contribute to a small team responsible for launch operations of LauncherOne. Help us design, build, and operate the systems that will prepare the vehicle for launch including loading fuel, liquid oxygen, and high pressure gasses. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at Virgin Orbit’s aerospace facility in Long Beach, California.
- Provide hands-on support which involves building, installing, maintaining and troubleshooting equipment such as pumps, tanks, valves, regulators, relief valves, and plumbing related to the LOX, RP- 1, Helium, Nitrogen, and air conditioning Ground Support Equipment
- Be able to start with a process and instrumentation diagram (P&ID) schematic and create the system: laying out panels, installing gauges and valves, hand bending lines, leak-checking, activate and use your panel.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair equipment and instrumentation as needed
- Operate the GSE during ground fueling operations of LauncherOne
- Collaborate with design engineers to develop and document vehicle loading and launch day procedures
- Understand and ensure proper cleaning for equipment to be used in Oxygen service
- Obtain and maintain licenses, operator permits or certifications as required
- Follow all necessary regulations and appropriate Virgin Orbit’s procedures including quality policies, safety policies, OSHA, EPA, NIOSH, NFPA, AS
- Must be able to communicate clearly, both in person and over coms, while running test and launch day procedures
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- High school diploma or GED
- At least 2 years of hands-on and relevant experience at a test site or launch pad is required
- Experience fabricating and operating tubing and pressure systems up to 6,000psig
- Ability to travel
- Strong team player
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours min
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 40lbs (unassisted)
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Experience using Microsoft Visio, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience fabricating and operating tubing and pressure systems up to 15,000 psig
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.