Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
7+ years of IT experience including the following:
- Extensive experience as a BigData professional with expertise in Hadoop stack such as HDFS, MapReduce, Pig, Hive, HBase and Impala.
- Good knowledge in back-end programming, specifically java, Angular JS, Node.js and Python.
- Writing high-performance, reliable and maintainable code.
- Ability to write MapReduce jobs.
- Good knowledge of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Ability to write Pig Latin scripts.
- Hands on experience in HiveQL.
What you’ll be doing
- Hadoop development and implementation.
- Loading from disparate data sets.
- Pre-processing using Hive and Pig.
- Designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting Hadoop.
- Translate complex functional and technical requirements into detailed design.
- Perform analysis of vast data stores and uncover insights.
- Maintain security and data privacy.
- Create scalable and high-performance web services for data tracking.
- High-speed querying.
- Managing and deploying HBase.
- Being a part of projects to help build new Hadoop clusters.
- Test prototypes and oversee handover to operational teams.
- Propose best practices/standards.
- To provide analytical and innovative input to projects/operational support tasks as well as support negotiations.
- To contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- To ensure operational procedures are in place, maintained and followed as appropriate.
- To personally participate in and contribute to BT wide professional community activities where applicable e.g. knowledge sharing, best practice within BT and external industry.
We’ll also need to see these on your CV
- Familiarity with data loading tools like Flume, Sqoop.
- Experience in either Spark, Kafka or R shiny would be a big plus.
- Analytical and problem solving skills, applied to Big Data domain.
- Good aptitude in multi-threading and concurrency concepts.
Why choose us?
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.The Engineering Excellence team within the IT CoE (Centre of Excellence) are dedicated to delivering the best possible experience for our developers in the organization.
Our vision: To lead the way in creating a better everyday life for our software engineers, helping them deliver high quality software efficiently, iteratively and collaboratively with the business utilising best-in-class tools, platforms and practices.The team will lead the way in Cloud Native computing and deliver a Platform as a Service (PaaS) capability for IT, a set of modern DevOps Tools and Capabilities and a range of best practice guidelines to allow our software engineers to perform at their best.The team will lead IT in modern software engineering techniques like Cloud Native computing and Serverless Computing. We’ll be connected externally and incubate new tools and practices as the industry evolves. Our role is to be one step ahead and lead our IT organisation in an ever changing and evolving landscape.We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. Diversity makes sense for us, our customers and our ambitions. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.